Bi-polar and depression and absorbtion rates

mkettles
on 8/16/08 3:59 pm - Albuquerque, NM

Hi everyone!  I have a question that i'm hoping someone can help me with.  I have bi-polar disorder and generalized anxiety disorder and take multiple meds including lithium, lamictal, zoloft, seroquel and lorazepam.  I realize that with the RNY surgery that the absorbtion rate for medication changes.  What has been your experience with the new absorbtion rates?  Did you have to undergo major medication adjustments? Did any of you experience symptoms coming through?  I am really curious about this also as I am really struggling right now with my depression as I have been taking Provera (hormones to induce my menstrual cycle) and even though it's only a ten day cycle of meds it has been a rough few days.  I've also recently had Januvia added for my diabetes.  I'm scared about relapses and having to go through medication adjustments again although I've made it through once before. I look forward to hearing about everyone's experiences!!  Thanks! :o)  Michelle

Patricia R.
on 8/16/08 9:38 pm - Perry, MI
Hi Michelle,
I understand your concerns, and have a few questions for you to consider.  Have you discussed this surgery with your psychiatrist, and has he/she done a psych eval for you to have the surgery?  Most surgeons require a psych evaluation to be done before clearance for surgery. 

Are you in psychotherapy, and have you discussed this surgery with the therapist?  Have you learned coping strategies in therapy for dealing with negative affect?  Coping strategies I am using include deep breathing, visualization, journaling, reading meditation books, talking to people in my 12 step programs, prayer and exercise. 

I have bipolar disorder, and depression big time, along with alcoholism, eating disorder, and a personality disorder.  I did not experience too much of a malabsorption problem.  I did have a relapse with the alcoholism due to not using my coping strategies. 

I would suggest you get into a support group, like Overeaters Anonymous to learn the 12 steps, and take a proactive approach to your recovery.  www.oa.org   There you can learn coping strategies for dealing with a lot of the negative emotions that life throws at you.  It is amazing how living the 12 steps helps with my overall life, not just the alcohol and food.

Hugs,
Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Jakesmom0199
on 8/28/08 3:31 am - Sandusky, OH
Hi, I was diagnosed with "BP" disorder 4 yrs ago.  I had my RNY surgery on May 21st, 2008, so far the only meds I have gone off of are my diabetes meds and injections.  Every day I take Lamictal, Seroquel, Abilify, Klonopin, Benztropine, and Provigil(it helps me stay awake in the AM), so far none of these meds have changed and as far as I am concerned I really don't care if they do!  My theory is, if I feel good physically and mentally let it be (even if I still have to take all my BP med's.  I do see a psychiatrist and a counselor every other week , which really help!  Just hang in there and don't get too wrapped up in it!
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views