Upcoming surgery and Panic Attacks

Melissa B.
on 8/12/08 7:41 am - Greenfield, OH

Hi all,  I've been a member here for awhile now but I finally got my surgery date of 10/21/08 and I'm having the BPD/DS.  I have been suffering for a few years with extremely high anxiety and panic attacks, so much so that I haven't worked for about 4 years.  I got approval from my psychiatrist and all the other docs for me to do the surgery and I really want to do it, but I've really been having a hard time lately just thinking about it.  Every time I think about surgery I start feeling all tense and the panic attacks start in.  How can you get thru surgery while having these?  I know once it's over the anxiety will probably not be as bad but I guess I'm just very anxious about it because this is such a drastic procedure. How can I remain calm just to make it to the hospital.  I don't want to back out of the surgery because I've waited on this for the last 2 years and I desperately need it but it's finally here and I'm nervous!!!!!  I do pray alot and take meds for the anxiety but it gets so bad that even Xanax and buspar combined don't take it away.
Any suggestions?? 

Thanks,
Melissa

Telbereth
on 8/13/08 7:44 am - SW , MO

I am having surgery on the 25th and truthfully I'm too busy and panicked about trying to get everything done and ready to be able to have an anxiety attack!

Just keep visualizing yourself afterwards and make a list of all the things you want to do once the weight is off.  It has got me so excited its hard to concentrate on anything else.
Beginning My Real Life

A Work in Progress

Patricia R.
on 8/14/08 9:25 pm - Perry, MI
I did not suffer from the panic attacks because I was deep in prayer the entire summer before my surgery.  Right now, I am practicing deep breathing exercises and relaxation/visualization exercises to help me with other issues.  Ask your therapist about those, and how to do them.  They are very helpful.  Also, if you have s belief in God, try prayer.

Hugs,
Trish

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

rocky023
on 8/22/08 3:26 pm - phoniex, AZ
Hi,
 I know once it's over the anxiety will probably not be as bad but I guess I'm just very anxious about it because this is such a drastic procedure. How can I remain calm just to make it to the hospital. 
====================================================================
jee

Iowa Drug Addiction
(deactivated member)
on 10/8/08 5:31 am - austin, TX
Melissa,

I am in the same boat as you and am panicing too.  I take Xanax and Buspar.  My Xanax dosage is 3.0 mgs.  How high is yours?  Maybe your psychiatrist could increase it a little?  It might be worth it to ask.  Good luck!!!
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views