Sugar Relapse

Patricia R.
on 8/2/08 9:11 pm - Perry, MI
Well, I got two days together, AGAIN, and then splat, fell on my face.  The irony is, it was right after my session with my psychiatrist, which went well.  Hmm.  I had to go to WalMart to pick up some stuff, and they had my favorite cereal marked down.  It has sugar in it.  I can graze and eat it all day long, right out of the box.  The good news is it has 6 grams of fiber per serving too. 

I had not done my relaxation exercises in a few days, but had been doing my meditations and my journaling.  I just know that I am discouraged, and will probably get heat from my therapist for it when I discuss it in my session on Wednesday.

I just need to share that I am discouraged and need more support.  I am thinking of going to OA, but really want to get more sobriety under my belt before I try to go to another program.

Hugs,
Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Curious G.
on 8/2/08 10:46 pm - Peachtree City, GA
Hey there pretty lady!

Remember the slogan, "Easy Does It"?

You don't have to completely conquer all the demons in one day.

One thing I've been learning from my own therapist is to take challenges in SMALL bites.  His recommendation would be "OK, let's not give up all sugar.  Let's set a goal of having less (any amount less) sugar than you did last week and we'll talk about it at our next session".

For  *THIS ALCOHOLIC*, his method is perfect for me.  We're using it in many areas of my life which I'm seeking to improve.  We set goals that are easy at first, then up the ante a bit after each session.  I'm finding myself less likely to fail this way.  And, the positive feelings I get after completing each MINI challenge really helps build psychic momentum for me.

I personally know that at this point in my life, I have to really focus on my AA program.  Sure, I have other feral cats in the cowpen that get out, but right NOW I have to focus on sobriety.  Working my program in that fashion will make me better equipped to herd those cats in due time. 

That whole progress not perfection thing is so hard for me.  I just want to jump in with both feet and FIX ME - FIX IT ALL  - FIX IT NOW.   But for me, that is a recipie for disaster and for relapse.

Easy does it.  You **ARE** a success.  You **ARE** a miracle.  You **ARE** an inspiration and you help to keep ME sober :)

love ya girl
Michelle

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  "God does not care about our mathmatecial difficulties - he integrates emperically!" - Albert Einstein

marieh
on 8/3/08 12:27 am - So. Easton, MA
Trish,

Michelle is SO right on here! :) I've been FINALLY learning not to expect perfection in myself. I let everyone else be human, why not me?  We put so much pressure on ourselves for the squeaky clean perfect track record..  Lately, I've cut myself some slack in just about every area of my life and I feel much better about me. It's not always a good day for me, but those are better than one drunk minute. 

Love,
Marie

Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views