Need some support--new to this forum

NicoleLynn
on 8/1/08 3:12 pm - Minneapolis, MN
Hello everyone I am new to this forum, but not to OH.  I am usually on the MN or exercise/fitness boards, but am really struggeling right now and felt this might be a good place to find the support I am seeking.  Just a bit about me, I have struggled with depression since I was a teenager, and it reached it's peak 4 years ago and I went through 3 years of hospitalizations, therapy and treatments of almost any combination of medications and ECT you could think of.  Well this past year I have been symptom free, with the exception of this winter, but that was quickley remedied by a SAD light.  This week however, I have really been struggling with my depression.  I have been in denial and trying to pu**** away but today I just couldn't do it anymore.  I am sitting here tonight wanting to cancel all of the plans I have for this weekend so I can just stay in my apartment and curl up hoping it will pass.  I am so scared, I have come so far I do not want to return to that dark place where there is no hope or happiness.  I am so afraid to even tell my family about this because I fear they will see it as a failure.  After a year and one month with no major depressive episodes I feel like I am slipping.  I am supposed to start classes for fall semester in 3 weeks I can not afford to be fighting this too.  I just saw my psychiatrist last week and told him how well everything was going so I am not scheuled to see him again until the end of October.  Any suggestions or support would be welcomed. ~Nicole

"When you see only one set of footprints, it was then that I carried you."

Patricia R.
on 8/1/08 9:49 pm - Perry, MI
Hi Nicole,
Are you in regular therapy with a therapist that you could call?  I see a therapist regularly to work on things.  My therapist has been helping me learn new coping skills.  When I am jammed up, as you are, I call him for support.

One of the things I am learning is that exercise helps me with depression.  Get moving a little bit and see how you feel.  Another thing I am learning is to reach out and do for others.  Can you call someone who needs help, like a shut-in, or a person on the boards who is struggling? 

If you would like, you can PM me for my private e-mail address.

Hugs,
Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

NicoleLynn
on 8/2/08 4:25 am - Minneapolis, MN
Trish~I am doing a little better today, as I made myself go to a coffee gathering with a bunch of people from the boards and yes I did reach out and help a friend who was in need.  I do not have a regular therapist right now as I sort of got burnt out from therapy for so long, but I will call my psychiatrist who is also sort of a therapist if things continue down this path.  Yes, exercise usually does make me feel better, and I will also be out and about alot this weekend, tomorrow I am going with a friend to a local amusement park so the sunshine, walking, fun and friendship should help along with the fact that the sense of impending doom is not so intense.  Thank you so much for your responseit is nice to know I have a place to come when I need support for more than just weight loss stuff!  Hugs, Nicole

"When you see only one set of footprints, it was then that I carried you."

Curious G.
on 8/2/08 10:54 pm - Peachtree City, GA
Hi Nicole,

I'm so grateful that you shared your struggles with us.

I'm a recovering alcoholic diagnosed with General Anxiety Disorder, Chronic Depression and mild OCD.  Quite a ****tail and I so understand your struggles.

I have to try not to let my ego and resentments get in the way of my self care.  For me, seeing a therapist every two weeks has been an invaluable tool in finding more balance in my life.   He helps me by teaching me how to set reasonable goals for myself and stressing the importance of doing things to care for myself.  I know I'm so succeptable to falling into that All or Nothing category, so his bit-by-bit approach really works for me.

You've got tons of support here.  Working my AA program has taught me not to offer advice much, but experience.  I will stray a bit and just suggest that you not let fear, ego and resentment regarding past events deprive you of what you so rightly deserve - CARE.  There are solutions, some behavorial, some cognitive, some medicinal.  Some of us need all three and then extra support via support groups, exercise, spiritual journeys (meditation or yoga classes perhaps).

When I start to slide downhill, I seem to forget these things.  I isolate.  I overeat.  I feel guilty.  I feel afraid.  I feel alone.  then bam bam bam...  I'm in a hole.  I can't afford to do that, and seeing my therapist really helps because he's kind of like a safety harness to the ladder of life.  He helps me to keep climinb UP and not slip too far back down.

We're here for you - please keep sharing with us!

Love and light,
Michelle
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  "God does not care about our mathmatecial difficulties - he integrates emperically!" - Albert Einstein

linda.traxler
on 8/12/08 9:18 pm - Laßnitzhöhe, Austria
Hi There,

I hope things are going much better for you.  I am a 'newbie' here to the OH boards.  I have struggled with long term chronic major clinical depression as well.  Have been in the hospital and on some kind-kinds of antidepressent for the last 15 years.

Please call your psychiatrist or therapist and let them know how you are feeling.  So many times I ignored the warning signs and instead of seeing someone and possible changing dosages or meds I slipped into 2 weeks of blackness where I did nothing more then get out of bed to use the bathroom or eat.

It's a little ironic that I ran across your post as I was just going to post looking for other people who suffer from depression to see how WLS has been affected by the depression or I guess I should say how the WLS has affected the depression.  Any insights from anyone would be most helpful.  I am planning on surgery in Oct. and have very little support system.  I have a great husband, but no one else.  And, I live in a country where I am just now learning the language and have very few friends.
Best wishes to all,
Linda
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views