Straight Up ...This scares the heck out of me!

MoniqueW
on 7/23/08 1:33 pm

I never would have admitted that I use food as a source of comfort  till recently while researching this procedure. Well I'm working on the emotional eating i.e. using food journal, WLS support groups and OH. However all this is pre-op. I'm seriously concerned about how I will cope with my emotions after WLS, when my eating is restricted.

I don't mess with drugs or anything, but I like to drin****asionally. My Mother is an acive substance abruser and have been all of my life. I learned through Alanon that I have addictive genes inherited from her and  I'm concerned that I will pick up new vices post WLS, to curb my addition to food.

Anyone experience this?

Highest Weight = 279lbs.
VSG Surgery Weight = 253 lbs.

Goal Weight = 175 lbs. (5'5)

Current:194

Patricia R.
on 7/23/08 2:19 pm - Perry, MI
I already was an alcoholic, in recovery, when I had my surgery.  I have been active in AA for 19 years, though I recently came back from a relapse.  For many years, I was very involved with Overeaters Anonymous, which helped me learn tons of coping skills for dealing with emotional eating.  They taught me to apply the 12 Steps of recovery to food and eating behaviors.  I have also been in indvidiual psychotherapy for 19 years, and have worked through a lot of the baggage that contributes to my self-defeating behaviors, like eating, drinking, shopping, etc. 

My suggestion is check out Overeaters Anonymous, and indvidual therapy. 

Hugs,
Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

marieh
on 7/23/08 9:45 pm - So. Easton, MA
Hi!!

I am currently seeing a therapist because I knew that the triggers I had for food/booze/smoking/shopping/sex, etc. BEFORE surgery weren't going to magically disappear just because I HAD surgery. It's an operation on our stomachs, NOT our minds. I have been sober for 21 plus years now, so my struggles with that addiction were done before WLS. Since then, I've transferred it to other things. I try to use the 12 steps for each addiction. I too, have a predisposition for addictive behaviors. Awareness is the beginning. You've already got half the battle won here! Why not see a therapist to discuss the role food plays in your life now?

Post-op I can tell you that food didn't give me the same comfort. I'ts almost like a betrayal. The buzz isn't there, so you look for soemthing else to bring it on. Shopping is a biggie for me since I refuse to drink alcohol, but for those of us with this addictive gene, we can get hooked on anything. Now, I have no desire to bake since I can't eat it...I'd love to buy more clothes but can't afford them and hate shopping unless it's online...(and damn, have I done damage THERE!), so I am working on making exercise and stained glass an addiction again. This time, I have to watch the obsession. :)

Good luck, and keep posting!!

Marie

PittsburghCutie
on 7/24/08 10:05 pm - Pittsburgh, PA
Everyone is obviously different, however, I didn't touch alcohol before surgery and I just finished 6 month inpatient/outpatient rehabilitation for alcohol and rx pills.

I am not saying this will happen, but, you hve a better chance after surgery due to addictive behaviours.

Good luck!
Liz
Go Steelers!!
October, 1st, 2004-LapRNY
298/157/140'ish
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center