Addiction a Roadblock to WLS?

KimM.
on 7/21/08 3:54 am
I have an initial consultation with a surgeon at the end of the week for wls and am aprehensive about discussing alcohol abuse.  I know I have to 1) to be honest and 2) lab results are going to show elevated liver levels.

I'm getting a handle on drinking with help and I know I'm ready for wls.  My question is, given that I have to go through a psych eval and my surgeon will factor in food/any addictions and my ability to take care of my health post-surgery, do I risk being denied?  Can I be turned away if, in all other areas, I'm a good candidate for surgery?

If anyone out there has any insight or can share their experience, I'd appreciate it.
Patricia R.
on 7/21/08 9:50 am - Perry, MI
What is the status of your drinking at this time?  That is the most important question, and one that will be asked at your psych eval. 

I cannot answer any questions about whether or not you will be denied surgery.  I can tell you that if you are drinking excessively right now, and think you have a drinking problem, and are NOT in a recovery program, then you would probably not be a good candidate for surgery at this time.  This surgery, and the lifestyle changes that go with it, require a lot of frustrations, liquid diets, soft food diets, puree, etc.  All those stages can be very frustrating, and if you are having RNY, giving up the sugar is also a big change.  Making those changes, without being sober, would be a futile effort indeed.

When I had my surgery, I was sober for many years.  I relapsed with the alcohol after a year and a few months post-op.  It was not pretty, because I got drunk faster, and passed out almost immediately from it. 

If you think you have a drinking problem, and have not tried AA, I strongly urge you to attend a few meetings and check it out. 

Hugs,
Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views