Alcoholism after the surgery

bernadette
on 7/18/08 5:50 am - Visalia, CA

I had gastric bypass on Oct. 19, 2006.  It has been a blessing from the very beginning: I had no complications, I healed quickly, I eat a very healthful diet and LIKE it, I have been exercising consistently for almost a year and can run, weight lift, etc,  and I barely have any loose skin at all.  More importantly, I have a great job, a master's degree, and the confidence I once lacked.  I feel like Superwoman...except...

This is a very difficult post for me.  I have NEVER had a problem with alcohol pre-surgery.  I drank, but socially and could take or leave it without issue.  About 3  months after I had the sugery, I discovered I could drink a little wine without any bad effects.  Since my 3-month point, I have discovered that I can't stop drinking once I start.  In essence, if I allow myself to, I would drink an entire bottle of wine every night until I pass out.   I don't like other alcohol - just white wine.

Luckily,  because I know I have a problem, I just don't START drinking during the week at all because I know I can't have just one.  I keep any drinking I do to weekends only. So far, I have no physical dependence on wine.  However, just like I used to feel when I was "dieting", now I feel that way about alcohol.  If it's Thursday, then I'm like, "Tomorrow, I can buy a bottle of wine."  In essence, I think about it like I used to think about food days before I ate a meal.  I thought this would ease once I started eating more.  I know about transfer addiction and I know that I've replaced food with wine.  But, I can eat almost normal meals now, and still I crave wine.

Anyway, my husband left yesterday for a year in Iraq.  His greatest fear is that he will come home to an alcoholic - and he is right to worry.  I moved my mom in while he is gone and explained to her my problem so she could "watch" me and be a constant reminder to NOT kill a bottle of wine and hide under the covers every night.  I'm also starting to teach a class or two on weeknights, and I have moved my usual morning workout routines to nights to keep me busy after I get home from work.  But, I also think I probably need the support of people who have dealt with this before.  This website got me through the 6 months B4 the surgery, and the few months thereafter, and now I hope I can count on your help for this problem.

Bernadette

206/128/128

Patricia R.
on 7/18/08 6:05 am - Perry, MI
It sounds like you need more than Mom babysitting you.  You might want to consider attending Alcoholics Anonymous, because there you will find plenty of people who have dealt with alcohol before.  Alcoholism is not just drinking everyday.  I was a "Weekend Warrior" at one time in my drinking career.  Binge drinking still qualifies a person for a seat at AA. 

Education and intelligence are no defense either, because I have a Masters of Social Work, and two careers, one in education and one in mental health, and I still drank, before and after my surgery. 

The disease of addiction is in our thinking and the 12 Steps of AA help me to change my thinking about life, and help me to resist the alcohol.

hang in there.  There is hope.

Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

RHONDA FROM KY
on 7/18/08 11:13 pm - ALEXANDRIA, KY
Hello.. and welcome

I also (was)/am a binge drinker..  once I start, I cannot stop until I'm in a black out within 2 hours and passed out another 2.  I didn't want to drink (or couldn't) everyday.. and go to the weekend or couple weekends.  Altho I must say towards the end of my drinking days, it was a matter of days inbetween.  I was functional.. I had a job.. and home and such.. but there were consequences that I was beginning to see because of my drinking. 

I believe getting your mother to "watch" you is just one step in trying to control your drinking and we (who are in The Program) know that alcohol is cunning.. baffling and powerful.   And actually, it's okay to try that.. the book tells us to go out and learn.. and try all of it just so you KNOW if it will or not.. and if it doesn't, go to an AA Meeting.  Like Trish said.. you will find friends there.. friends like YOU and myself who's only desire is not to drink and are succeeding by helping each other and my placing their new love into their Higher Power and not the bottle.. (and for WLS people not the Food we once used).   

Just know you're not alone... and keep coming back

It is good to have an end to journey towards; but it is the journey that matters in the end.  ~Ursula K. LeGuin

marieh
on 7/19/08 7:30 am - So. Easton, MA
Hello and welcome (back)! :) 

You remind me of me. :) I didn't start drinking till weekends (at first), then it was once I got home from work...then I promised myself I wouldnt' drink and drive with my daughter in the car...then I did anyway....then I was trying to figure out if I could use it instead of milk in my damn cheerios.   At each stage, the wine (also my drug of choice) will convince you you're fine, you can handle it, you're not "that bad". It is a manipulating, convincing, lying addictive substance that has our minds hooked into believing it's our best friend, our lover, our comfort zone and it'll never let us down.

I agree with Trish and Rhonda and would add that if you feel you need a babysitter to keep an eye on your habit, you're already hooked and it's a very good time to look for a meeting.  I'm sorry this sounds harsh, but as we all know, sometimes reality sucks. You've transformed your physical health and self-esteem by hard work, courage and the will to succeed.  I have faith that you can do this too! Please keep posting here, Bernadette!! The courageous people in this forum are my lifeline, and I'm happy to give back anyway I can.  :)

Hugs,
Marie

(deactivated member)
on 7/20/08 2:15 pm - MD
I agree, AA is a great way to help deal with this addiction.  You will find people who you have this in common with, and who you can socialize with doing alcohol free activities.  I have a sister in the AA program and she gets a huge benefit from it.  They are her second family. 
akkirocks
on 7/21/08 2:10 am - India
It will be quite dangerous if anyone starts drinking alcohol after the surgery.Not only after the surgery but it is not good for health always.People make drinking a habit and a prestige issue without knowing its deadly effects.So,I would advice not to drink alcohol .

akkirocks
[url="http://www.addictionrecovery.net/oklahoma"]Addiction Recovery Oklahoma[/url] 
llnda313
on 7/22/08 4:26 pm
If all else fails join a support group like AA. It might sound radical but with your husband going away and all....at least try to stop for one day.If you can do that if not then maybe get help somewhere..
god bless..llnda313
kimward34
on 7/30/08 10:33 pm, edited 7/30/08 11:06 pm - tavares, FL

I never really drank much before my surgery, when I did it was beer...a few months after my bypass I was at a party and I tried beer (burped my self silly) so my friend brought me a mixed drink...vodka and cranberry...it went down great!

Here's the down side: I started drinking that very same drink at home to relax...it started with one or two...then three, four and BAM! I blacked out. To make matters worse, my husband became jealous of me after my surgery - we separted...then divorced (after 20 years of marriage)...I became so depressed. I really thought that after surgery that my husband would love me more if I were thin. I started drinking even more. At this stage I knew I  was a full-fledged alcoholic...I thought I was going to die.

Eventually my life  got even more out of control,  I started functioning in a blackout... I didn't have to drink much for this to happen....  then my worst nightmare happened - I got a DUI 1 year postop. I was devistated and quickly admitted myself (voluntarily) to residential rehab and started going to AA. I stayed there for 6 months... for a year I remained sober. I was shocked, however, to find that there were 4 other post-op bypass patients at this rehab suffering from alcohol addiction. This scared me.

Once I was discharged I started living on my own for the first time in years. I hated it. I was so hurt about my life, I started drinking again. I couldn't believe that I could consume alcohol and not dump...How was still dumping when I ate the wrong foods but not with alcohol!? I was baffled, depressed, divorced and severely under weight (105 lbs) I lost all hope. I felt doomed, alone and defeated.

Then it happened again...I got my second DUI. This time I hit another car and left the scene of the accident (that's a felony) I don't remember a thing because I was in a blackout.  This time my cir****tances were more severe. I was in serious trouble in more ways than one. I knew I should  NEVER drink after my bypass but I did...I became physically dependent and was on the edge of death.

When I went to court, I was charged with a DUI and I put probation for 2 years. Really, I should have gone to jail but the judge was so concerned about the dangers of drinking after my bypass, he ordered me to check into a psychiatric-residential rehab where I remained for several months under observation with a gastroentronologist, psychiatrist,addiction counsellors.
I was so ashamed of the direction I went in my life. It took me going through this
tragedy to understand the seriousness of my disease and the deadlyeffects of
alcohol after having bypass surgery.
I know now that I kicked my addiction to food and took on another addiction...alcohol.
I have been sober now for 2 years. I am grateful to God that I am alive. I now
share my story at several WLS groups to this day about the dangers of
alcohol addiction and gastric bypass surgery. I hope and pray that post-op
bypass patients who suffer from alcohol addiction after surgery will learn
from my experience.
(I have no idea what happened to my text at the end of this post..
hope you can read it)
TNBreeze
on 8/29/08 4:48 am
I am having the same problems with the use of Alcohol. I was a social drinker as well and now I have been drinking daily. I have currently seen my primary Dr. and have a precription for Campral. It is suppose to crub the craving of Alcohol. I started it yesterday August 28th.
TNBreeze
on 8/29/08 4:52 am
I am suffering from some of the same problems. I have visited my primary Dr. and got a prescription for Campral. It is suppose to crub the desire for Alcohol. I started it on August 28th 2008. I have an appointment with an addiction counsler next week. We'll see how it all works.
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views