Where on earth do I start???

MistyLynn81
on 7/8/08 7:18 am - LaGrange, KY
I NEED to find someone for some talk therapy atleast.. My self image issues seem to be doing a little worse. I HATE my body and I just am a very unhappy person. I don't know who to talk to or where to find someone who specializes in body image issues and stuff though. I am just confused. I talked to my PCP about recommending someone for talk therapy a few months ago and all he did was give me Zoloft but I'm tired of masking symptoms and not getting to the bottom of it. My anxiety has also increased. I've walked the thin line of an eating disorder especially since I'm able to get more in now. it's greatly affecting my life and also my marriage in a negative way. I just don't know what to do anymore.
Patricia R.
on 7/8/08 8:11 pm, edited 7/8/08 8:15 pm - Perry, MI

This was recommended to me by a therapist I saw at an eating disorder program I went to pre-op. http://therapists.psychologytoday.com/rms/prof_search.php Good luck. It takes a few sessions to find out if you have a therapeutic fit with a therapist.   Another suggestion would be to contact a local college or university psychology or social work department, as many professors also have private practices.  My therapist is a professor at a college in New Jersey. Good luck. Hugs, Trish

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

(deactivated member)
on 7/8/08 11:54 pm
I went back to the therapist who saw me for my pre surgery psych evaluation.  I was fortuante to have someone who specializes in Barriatric surgery issues. IMHO, many of the issues we face post surgery are "normal" things but since we never dealt with those concepts prior, it is hard to know how now with the loss of our main coping mechanism.....FOOD. At this point in time, my biggest issue is anger.  Who knew I was stuffing my anger with food?
scrapper5
on 7/10/08 3:58 pm - Burnsville, MN

I am new to this forum, but saw your post and another way to get connected is to call your insurance company.  I know they are usually not who you would think, but most have a special behavioral health section.  They will be able to help you get connected with someone who specializes in this area...such as eating disorders and bariatric suregery patients.   Good Luck.

Jennifer

(deactivated member)
on 7/20/08 2:12 pm - MD
After you get the list of professionals from your insurance company, give them a call and ask what their specialties are.  Most therapists are trained to help with adjustments of all kinds, even loss of food as a coping tool. Coping skill building is a common part of all therapist's specialties. (I am an LCPC and practicing therapist in MD) And maybe this list will be helpful. Don't wait! You are worth the time. 
 http://www.google.com/hws/emachines/afe?hl=en&s=http://india na%20mental%20health%20providers/&rdr=afe
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 788 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 771 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 995 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1703 views