Family and Medical Leave Act

Mary H.
on 7/7/08 5:20 am - Chicagoland, IL
Hello everyone, I had lap-band surgery on April 14, 2008.  I have suffered from clinical depression for years.  I passed the surgeon's psych exam with no problem, also my personal psych agreed with my decision for WLS (as did my PCP) because I had several co-morbidities along with my depression. I have been seriously thinking about taking a Leave of Absence from my job.  I'm happy, and my surgeon is happy, with how I'm doing.  The problem is:  I still feel very overwhelmed with life, I can't concentrate at work, and I feel like I just need some time off to work on "ME", get back to a healthy weight, and not be stressed every day with going to work.  My immediate supervisor has no clue what it's like to have clinical depression...and I did give my bosses legal literature of my rights at my last review. We are currently in bankruptcy which will end in March 2009.  I do know you can adjust the trustee payment if something in your financial situation changes.  However, I've been with this company for 25 years, with only a lengthened maternity leave (my child was premature, he is now grown), and one other leave of abscence in '97 when my mother passed away from pancreatic cancer. I just don't know what to do.  Do I "tough it out" until our money situation is better?  Do I "tough it out" and hope for the good days?  I only have 2 days (paid) off left for the entire year, due to taking off for my surgery, doctor appts related to the surgery, personal matters, and plain 'ol mental health days.   Has anyone else taken a FMLA?    If so, any advice or sharing of experience would be greatly appreciated.  I don't want my family to suffer financially, but on the other hand, some days I feel like I'm on the verge of cracking up.  The ironic thing is, my last psych. appt  a couple of weeks ago - I was feeling GREAT.  I have put a call in to my therapist to make an appt,, I have not been in to see her since around my surgery date. 

" There are no problems, only solutions"
~John Lennon

Pre-surgery weight 218~ 12-02-08 weight 168
28 pounds to goal!

Patricia R.
on 7/7/08 8:02 am - Perry, MI
My first thought is why have you not been to your therapist since April?  I see my therapist weekly, and he would never, ever approve of me taking a leave for my depression.  His philosophy is that work is good for your mental health.  My psychiatrist also would not approve of a leave for my depression.  I have bi-polar disorder, and have had serious bouts of depression, and at most have taken a day or two off because of it, and that is usually just to wait for a medication adjustment to take effect. I did take a leave of absence when I was in outpatient treatment for my eating disorder, prior to my surgery.  That was an entirely different situation, as I was in group therapy sessions for five hours a day, three days a week.  Totally emotionally exhausting and my job is extremely stressful.   My suggestion is to get on the phone and talk to your psychiatrist about your medications, and tell him/her your symptoms as of now.  Also, get into regular therapy appointments and see if that does not help you.  If your therapist and psychiatrist feel that FMLA is indicated for you, then go for it. 
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Mary H.
on 7/7/08 10:03 am - Chicagoland, IL

I agree, I need to be going in to see my therapist more often.  I did just see my psych a couple of weeks ago for a med management appt.   We will see what happens.  I also posted this on the general board and got some helpful advice there, also. Thank you for the input. Mary

" There are no problems, only solutions"
~John Lennon

Pre-surgery weight 218~ 12-02-08 weight 168
28 pounds to goal!

Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 788 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 771 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 995 views