knowing when to stop

amberanne00
on 7/4/08 9:49 pm
Im concerned about my portion sizes and fearful that I am going to fall back into my old habits!  Ive always been an over eater and a sugar ***** but even after the sugery  I find  myself still eating more than i should if i dont pre measure my food and just stop when the food is gone, that way I cant over eat!  I had my surgery almost 4 months ago and I try to stick to portion sizes roughly about 4.5 oz or less, and as far as sugar or goodies go, i can pretty much control them, but if I cant then I try to make healthier choices like low-fat, sugar free, low carbs.....but should I be avoiding them completly please give me some advice, should I go and talk to a shrink about changing my poor habits or is there  a better way.  thanks in advance
Patricia R.
on 7/4/08 10:38 pm - Perry, MI
I understand your concern about portion sizes.  I find myself sometimes eating more than I should.  I am an RNY patient.  I was told flat out that I cannot eat sugar.  If/when I do, I dump, and get violently ill.  Fat is also a no-no for me.  I do not know anything about VGB surgery, so you would have to ask your surgeon or nutritionist about the requirements.  I would think you should concentrate on proteins and fruits and veggies, which is what I was told.  I was also told to eat my protein first.   I used to attend Overeaters Anonymous for help with my eating disorder, and it really helped me retrain my brain as to eating, this was pre-surgery.  Also, the social support was fantastic.  It is a 12 step program patterned after AA, and it is also spiritual.  Good luck, Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

marieh
on 7/5/08 8:33 am - So. Easton, MA
Wow!!  I know exactly how you're feeling. I've had a GB 11 months ago. At first, I dumped big time with too much food, too fatty a food or too sugary a food choice. Now that I'm past 9 months out, my cravings are coming back (mostly to pick because I'm bored, not for anything specific. The worst thing is that SOMETIMES I can tolerate very fattening and very sweet stuff. Here's the kicker: You realize that this really ISN'T a magic wand. IT'S A TOOL. We have the distinct privilege of finding how to best use this to make it work for our individual needs. All this time I'm thinking "this is great....I got this wrapped!.."  WRONG. Ppl said its' a tool, it's ONLY a means to an end, that end being longer life, better health and leaving lots of the problems being way too fat gave us.   So....I'm not gonna splenda-coat this. I've danced way too close to the flame already, and the results made me feel miserable. Literally and figuratively. Talking to a shrink helps me BIG TIME. I am finding out what my triggers are, and am getting much better at stopping myself before I overdo it. Find a shrink, and talk to your medical team to find out what your food choices should be. It might not be a bad idea to go back to basics and re-read your "what to do when you're home from the hospital" guidelines again. Life is short enough. We asked for these changes. Take care of your new body! :)  Marie

Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 788 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 771 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 995 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1703 views