How to get better?

millamename
on 7/3/08 1:11 pm - MA
Hi I just got on this board out of interest beucase I work with addicts, alcoholics,mental health issues and legal problems- all rolled into one and i enjoy it.  I don't know how much you have been or are drinking but if you are being very honest with yourself than you will need to be honest with your dr becuase there can be awful  and serious side effects from alcohol withdrawal-  so i would highly suggest that you talk to them and get a plan in place becuase it sounds like you are asking all the right questiona to reach out for some help.  Don;t go it alone for your healths sake.  Andrea

True wisdom consists of knowing that you know nothing

millamename
on 7/3/08 1:21 pm - MA
Oh about going to AA.  It is based on rendering yourself powerless to your drink or drug and putting all you got into a "higher power"  Some people can;t get too much into this concept becuase they believe they have to be super religious but it also does work for so many.   There is also Smart Recovery- which focuses on the basis of common sense- " I have to put the drink in my hand and then up to my mouth so there is noone else to blame but myself" kind of concept.  But there are also many many substance abuse counselors available throughout the world and they know what they are talking about.  Some have gone thru the same things you are going thru while others have learned thru books but have learned techniques of helping people in that situaiton.   Either wway you choose-  you will find your answer and you can;t expect to find your answer the 1st day or meeting.  Just like all of us didn;t get to be 100+lbs overweight from over eating just a couple of times-  it will take hard work and if you are true in that you is what you want than that wil be your result.  Do not ever be ashamed!!  There are lawyers, dr's, psychiatrists, dentists, judges, etc etc that have drug and or alcohol issues-  it does not discriminate for any race, creed or background.  Take care  Andrea

True wisdom consists of knowing that you know nothing

Curious G.
on 6/24/08 12:02 pm - Peachtree City, GA
Would you be afraid or ashamed to tell the pcp you have a big festering growth that used to be a mole on your arm? 

Alcoholism is a disease - defined as such in the medical texts.

Withdrawal can be serious business - depending on the amount you drink and length of time you've been drinking.  Some alcoholics have to be medically treated through withdrawal to prevent seizures and even death.

Drinking with AD's is no joke either - can cause really bad side effects, blackouts and other nasty stuff.

These are good reasons to talk to the doctor.  Medical professionals are trained with how to deal with us.  My pcp also told me that he usually we don't come completely clean when telling him the amount we drink that rarely do we feel comfortable being honest with him.

My doctor was very kind and understanding to me.  He gave me a short term supply of sleeping medication and tranquilizers (xanax) to get me through the first 10 days of withdrawal from alcohol.  He referred me to AA as well, and I can't say enough good things about AA.  I too had mixed feelings.  Just try to have an open mind and attend a few meetings before forming an opinion.

There are many paths to recovery.  I'm sending out prayers that you find yours - IF you believe you have a problem.

We're here for you - please let us know how you're doing!

Love and light,
Michelle
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  "God does not care about our mathmatecial difficulties - he integrates emperically!" - Albert Einstein

Patricia R.
on 6/26/08 10:02 am - Perry, MI
I was totally honest with my doctor, and it was good that I was, as he now knows not to prescribe certain medications for me.  You doctor is not going to be disappointed in you, she/he is going to be concerned about your physical health, and will want to help you get sober.   You may need a referral to a rehab facility or detox, depending on how much you drink.   As for AA, you should visit it, and give it a try before judging it.  I have been going for 19 years, and find that when I attend meetings and get involved, I stay sober.  When I slack off on my meeting attendance, I drink.   Good luck. Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views