How to get better?

(deactivated member)
on 6/23/08 6:32 am
If I were to go to my pcp and tell her that I think I'm an alcoholic, what do you think she'd do?  What in their power can they do?  What would be a person's first step towards walking away from the bottle?
isenephthys
on 6/23/08 1:18 pm - CA
your first step is admitting you have a problem.  it's really strong of you to realize that you need help. i don't know what your pcp might do.  most likely, she will refer you to community resources (like al-anon), therapy and perhaps some medications to help with the withdrawal.  depending on how much you drink, your pcp might want to admit you to the hospital so that you can be monitored and kept hydrated, medicated and safe while you withdraw. you can't be held against your will unless you are a danger to yourself or others.
(deactivated member)
on 6/24/08 12:45 am

I keep thinking I'm not really as bad as I think I may be.  Denial I guess.  But my pcp has referred me to therapy for my depression....yeah what a joke...I'm on ad's but I keep drinking.  I'm a mess.

Thanks for the reminder that they can't hold me against my will.  I forget that.

Telbereth
on 6/23/08 2:08 pm - SW , MO
It is very important to be totally honest with your PCP.  I told mine and she has helped me try a variety of drugs which had reported off label uses to help with addiction.  In the end I had to quit with a 12 step program but it was nice to be totally honest with one person at least. Its also very important because s/he may well run different or more blood tests to look for liver functions etc which might not have been run had you not told her/him about the alcohol. T
Beginning My Real Life

A Work in Progress

(deactivated member)
on 6/24/08 12:47 am
I'm so afraid to discuss this with pcp.  I'm just afraid of her being so dissapointed with me.  And I'm afraid of what the tests would reveal.  I do have to make another appointment with her for my paxil check.
Telbereth
on 6/24/08 6:29 am - SW , MO
Don't be afraid...remember she is Working for You!  You can always go elsewhere.  I realize you probably wouldn't, but Again, It is YOUR choice to stay or go. I admit that when I first started talking about this to my PCP I tended to minimize the amounts to what I thought would be only problem amounts instead of the severe amounts I was at, (I'd say I was drinking 2 fifths per week instead of the real 1 fifth a day), but eventually I was able to be totally honest.   I couldn't be totally honest at home, work, with friends or anywhere else.  But don't forget that the doctor must live by strict confidentiality so what you say there stays there.  Especially important when you live in a small town like I do. Please, please, think about bringing the subject up...It's your life, relationships, and health you may be saving.  
Beginning My Real Life

A Work in Progress

Sheila W.
on 6/24/08 12:16 am - Suffolk, VA
I actually never told my MD but chose to start going to AA to "see" if I had a problem.  I knew I did and AA was exactly where I needed to be.  I immediately connected with other women just like me.  fortunately I didn't need to go to rehab and was able to handle the side effects of not drinking.  It has been 18months for me now and I am so much healthier!!!  I would highly suggest that you either attend an AA meeting or even look it up on the web and call your local AA 800 number.  I was scared to go at first....worried what people might think.  But you know what....they are all there for the same reason!!  Don't wait.....Make that first step today!!
(deactivated member)
on 6/24/08 12:49 am

I've heard good and bad things about AA.  I'm afraid to go. 

What side effects are there from the withdrawl??   Congrats on 18 months!!

Sheila W.
on 6/24/08 12:52 am - Suffolk, VA
I think everyone is different.  For me it was like a really bad hangover for days.  Nauseous, shaky, extremly irritable....DONT be scared to go to AA.  Why are you scared?  You have done the hard part....admitted a problem.  The rest is easy if you are willing to work for it!!  You can do it!! 
RHONDA FROM KY
on 6/24/08 3:04 am - ALEXANDRIA, KY

AA is a wonderful place to be.. IMO.  They are warm and friendly people who will not or should not judge you.  Just sit and listen.. if asked if you want to talk.. and you do not, you can always say "I'll pass.." . I didn't know how to stop drinking until I went to my first AA meeting and I've not drank again since.  And with the grace of God I won't drink today either. 

try it..  you have nothing to lose and much to gain!! I have not been in months but went last nite wanting to support a friend and her son.  He just got out of Rehab a week ago.  What really happened is HE got his mom to that meeting and she admitted she's and alcoholic too.. and HE got me to that meeting and I've not been in months.  Makes you wonder who was supporting whom. btw.. after sobering up.. and seeing doctors.. my PCP knows of my addiction and is just thankful that I am getting better.  Also when I was at my WLS office last time.. I shared a little of my drinking problem.  She was very interested in knowing how I stopped, because their office is hearing so many stories from people with the problem.. and they are not sure what to tell them. What I would tell them is... Go to an AA meeting.. if you don't care for that ONE.. try another.  They are a wonderful warm loving group of people who share the same sickness as *I* do. hugsss

It is good to have an end to journey towards; but it is the journey that matters in the end.  ~Ursula K. LeGuin

Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views