Time to admit it

Hannahc
on 6/18/08 11:22 am - Harlan, KY
Hey all, I'm new here.  I used to hang around the main board a lot pre-surgery (RNY), but now and about two and a half years out and returning for some support and confessions.  I have been at goal for a year now, but am beginning to turn to alcohol and prescription painkillers to fill the void that food has left.  I am planning on  seeing a psychologist next week, but not sure how much help that will be since not a lot of medical professionals around here know what comes and goes with WLS(one argued up and down that I needed a blind NG tube after an ulcer I had bled out).  I have some terrible back issues that require I take some kind of pain medication to be able to function regularly, but I'm getting way too friendly with the narcotics....any ideas? Thanks, I know you all will understand! Hannah
marieh
on 6/18/08 9:04 pm - So. Easton, MA
Hi Hannah!  Welcome to the board! I know I'd be in serious trouble if I didn't see my shrink every week! (I was seeing a different therapist a year ago and she and I didn't work out). You might not find the best fit right away, but don't give up! I've been sober 22 yrs and for ME, I am deathly afraid of being trapped in the bottom of a bottle again. Addiction can really mess with our minds. Have you told your PC about  your relationship with the Rx pain killers? He may be able to recommend the right person to help you or at least narrow down the search. Where you are can be scary, but please keep reaching out! :)  Hugs, Marie

Curious G.
on 6/18/08 9:22 pm - Peachtree City, GA

Hey there Hannah - welcome!

First and foremost, just know you are not alone.  More and more scientific research is coming out correlating the link between obesity and alcoholism/addiction.  A primary caveat of that research is addiction post-wls.

For me, recovery has given me an insight into the fact that my relationship with food and alcohol is but a symptom of an underlying issue.  I am not BAD, I am not lacking willpower, and I am not weak.  I am simply wired up differently than most other people.  Understanding and accepting this has been key in helping me to "get right".

Knowing you may be slipping into dangerous territory is a gift.  Some people never can acknowledge that until it's too late and the disease's hold is too strong.  So - even as frightened as you might be, you have received a gift in that you are aware and want to make changes.

These ladies here are wonderful!  I encourage you to keep sharing and reaching out to the medical profession for help.  I also highly recommend a 12 step program.  AA has saved my life.

Again - welcome!

Love and light,

Michelle

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  "God does not care about our mathmatecial difficulties - he integrates emperically!" - Albert Einstein

Code3 ~CeCe~
on 6/19/08 4:16 am - San Diego, CA
You have a PM
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety