I'm Not Crazy - Just Bi-Polar

Sarah P.
on 6/17/08 12:56 am - cuyahoga falls, OH
So that is my personal statement now.  I was just diagnosed as having Bi-Polar after being treated for years for Depression. How does WLS play in to treatment, symptoms, etc?   Are the drugs i am on safe for WLS patients? (Seroquel and Lamictal)  I am trying to learn as much as possible. Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Patricia R.
on 6/17/08 6:49 am - Perry, MI
Hi there, I recently was given the same diagnosis under similar cir****tances.  I have been on my meds for a while now, and know that my meds are safe.  The person you should be asking about the meds and safety is the doc who prescribed and/or your surgeon.   As for symptoms, the only thing I know from my own personal experience is if I do not take my medications as they are prescribed, I get into serious trouble.  That is when I tend to act out and do stupid stuff, like drink.   There is a lot of information available online, so you may want to Google and research it. Good luck, Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

isenephthys
on 6/23/08 1:27 pm - CA
i am bipolar and am on a ****tail of meds.  (the wonderful world of psych drugs, right?)  i would recommend following up very closely with your psychiatrist as you lose weight; the weight loss is going to lift your mood a bit naturally and your body is going to have all sorts of absorption/adjustment phases.  (i'm still pre-op.  this is just what i've gleaned through talking to others, research online, talking to my doctors, etc.)  not a lot of research has been done on mood stabilizers post wls.  i've got one study; i'll try to find the link for you. one of my big concerns is transfer addiction.  bipolars are at higher risk of having an addictive behavior; i worry that once i can no longer rely on food what am i going to turn to next?  that's where frequent psych follow-ups come into play. i wish you the best of luck. 
Donna K.
on 6/27/08 4:04 am - ME
Hi Sarah, I was diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder type II in May 2007. I'm not crazy either! I've been on Lamictal for 13 months and it's saved my life. I no longer have crippling panic attacks, live with devastating depression, or deal with the consequences I created when manic (over spending, drinking, promiscuity after my divorce). I was able to finish my master's degree last summer and have excelled at my job. I too was treated for depression for 10 YEARS before a wonderful therapist finally figured out what was going on! I have a psychiatric nurse practitioner who prescribes my medication and she had WLS so she understands a lot about absoprtion/medication issues for us. Lamictal and continued therapy have given me back my life. The meds for me were really sutble and my family noticed how much I was improving before I did. The biggest changes for me were the absence of anxiety, fewer teary days, and a huge improvement in my ability to get things done. I'm very careful who I talk to about my "condition" though (even though I'm posting it publicly!) because there is still a huge stigma about mental illness in our society. It's slowly getting better but we've got a long way to go. I'd be happy to talk with you more about my experiences. Hope this helps!
Peace & Love, Donna K.
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views