hi im a newbie on this forum

sabrina
on 6/10/08 4:13 am - Turlock, CA
Hi everyone, Im new to this particular forum. I have been having issues at home.....which has created a huge deal of anxiety and bouts of great sadness. Yesterday at work I couldnt take much more probably  has a lot to do with no sleep, and broke down to a co worker who suggested going to see my PCP for some help- ie sleeping or anxiety reducing meds. At this point im very leary of taking them for any length of time due to my profession and WLS. I am very sensitive to drugs and even low dosage has a great effect upon me. My pcp prescribed trazadone for sleep? and paxil for anti- anxiety? does anyone on here know much about these two and how they effect the average WLS patient? any suggestions or advice is greatly appreciated. Thank you Sabrina
There are three ways of dealing with difference: domination, compromise and integration. By domination only one side gets what it wants; by integration we find a way by which both sides may get what they wish.........
Telbereth
on 6/10/08 6:47 am - SW , MO
Welcome! Assuming you have a good relationship with PCP, they should be aware of your sensitivity and most likely started you at a fairly low dose.  (Mine did even though I have no sensitivity issues.)  If you start to experience problems cut out one of the drugs and see how you feel.  Also there are many other choices available so if the first ones don't seem to do the trick then ask the Doc to try a different one. Maybe the most helpful thing might be to work on the home issue.  If you can't resolve it there then a counselor may be just the ticket to clearing it up. Good Luck! Telbereth
Beginning My Real Life

A Work in Progress

PittsburghCutie
on 6/10/08 10:08 am - Pittsburgh, PA
hi Sabrina-

Can't help with the Paxil, as I never took it. The good thing about Trazadone is, it's not addictive. I was prescribed Trazadone for sleep AND anxiety, I took it for about 2 months and it helped tremendously. I asked for nonaddicting meds due to my chewing of xanax, I didn't want to get hooked again on the script.

Mental note on the trazadone(helpful hint from my doc too) go to bed shortly after taking them(no more that 15-20 minutes) and you will snooze for a good 6-8 hours. With me, I was slightly drowsy during the day for the first 3-5 days taking it.

Good luck-

Liz
Go Steelers!!
October, 1st, 2004-LapRNY
298/157/140'ish
sabrina
on 6/10/08 10:47 am - Turlock, CA
THank you for the responses........I understand completely about working on the issues at home first which would help the anxiety and bouts of sadness as this is what i do for a living as bad as that sounds.....thank you for telling me about the trazadone taking a couple days to get used to because today ive dragged around all day........and im not going to take paxil until i talk with a therapist supervisior of mine to hear what she suggest because i read today you cannot get life insurance if your taking psychotropics.......who knows? not me well thank you again!
There are three ways of dealing with difference: domination, compromise and integration. By domination only one side gets what it wants; by integration we find a way by which both sides may get what they wish.........
shellypoe
on 6/12/08 1:46 am - virginia beach, VA
i hated the traze, i felt way hung over and after trying everything under the sun i finally suggested xanax and its excellent, i have the .05 and take 1 and a half, i took the paxil for 10 years, but found that helps you keep the weight on so i went to effexor. good luck.

shelly- wife to mike....2-14-1986                        
mom to- logan...2-8-96
mom to- jensen...6-10-05

BEFORE @258                              AFTER @140
ShellyBefore258-1.png picture by careipowellShellyAfter140-1.png picture by careipowell  

Telbereth
on 6/13/08 1:45 am - SW , MO

You know they always say doctors make the worst patients...and more in line with my profession- 'An attorney *****presents themselves has a fool for a client.'  So I can definitely relate to your issue.  Hadn't heard about the psychotropic insurance exclusion but as my life ins is through my work I really hadn't considered it before. T

Beginning My Real Life

A Work in Progress

cy76065
on 6/14/08 11:35 am - midlothian, TX

I've taken Trazadone for years due to not sleeping and contributing to Migraines.... LOVE IT... I can take 1 or 2, sleep sound and pop up like a jack in the box in the morning, I don't get the hangover feeling.

I tried to get off it for awhile, but then went back to not functioning well simply b/c I just don't sleep (have suffered insomnia since I was 16ish).

Good luck! No tips on the combo though...

"At the worst, a house unkept cannot be so distressing a a life unlived."-R.Macaulay
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views