I could really use some help.

jeepgirl98
on 6/10/08 6:37 am - Pasco, WA
Hi I have never posted here before so I hope that my situation is just as important as the others that I have read here. I do have an addiction and I am very embarrassed to tell you that its coffee. Starbucks to be exact everyday I get a venti coffee frapachino light ($4.17 each) and sometimes I go twice a day. Here is the part that scares me even if I have had mine for the day I am thinking about when I will be getting my second one my hubby doesnt know that I go 2 times once in awhile. I have gained 6 pounds over the last month and only had 21 till goal. I am very upset with myself and I never really thought I had an adictive personality but now im not so sure. I dont drink soda of any kind its been well over a year. I dont drink alcohol or smoke. I really dont know what to do should I seek a counsler? I have been looking for a support group where I live but there arent any close they are like 3 hours away and with the gas prices there is no way im going that far. I have read the very couragouse stories here and I am hopeful that you will be able to offer me some advise. Thank you Hugs Toni

Live  Laugh  Love
RHONDA FROM KY
on 6/10/08 11:23 am - ALEXANDRIA, KY
Hello Toni..  Welcome to the board. I believe that *anything* when taken in excess and that causes negative experiences in our lives is(can be) considered an addiction.  Especially if we recognize it .. yet unable to stop.   I guess the negatives would be the cost.. and weight gain.   I would recommend treating it like any other addiction.. and try working the 12 Steps.  Pick a date that will by your last.. and work the program.  Also a counselor can never hurt.. outsides sources (imo) is always a good thing.  Including this site... KEEP COMING BACK support from others who understand.. is a great motivator.

It is good to have an end to journey towards; but it is the journey that matters in the end.  ~Ursula K. LeGuin

jeepgirl98
on 6/11/08 12:33 am - Pasco, WA
Thank you Rhonda I was hoping you would be one of the people that would respond to my post I have read your posts and others on a different board  (sbaws?) and you have had and received great advise. I just feel stupid that this is my hang up. Thank you again and I will set up my end date. Hugs Toni

Live  Laugh  Love
RHONDA FROM KY
on 6/11/08 2:51 am - ALEXANDRIA, KY
Dont' feel stupid.. blessed maybe  but still worthy of receiving help for your *hang up*.  Heck those can add up in costs.. certainly enough to afford a nice vacation a year.  and yes.. I knew you looked familiar

It is good to have an end to journey towards; but it is the journey that matters in the end.  ~Ursula K. LeGuin

Patricia R.
on 6/11/08 6:38 am - Perry, MI
An addiction is any behavior or substance that interferes with our lives in some form or fashion and causes us discomfort.  Therapy would certainly help you gain insight into what is behind the behavior, and help you learn to make changes.  I would also suggest that you treat yourself to something to help you make the break from Starbucks, like get yourself a new coffeemaker and make your own coffee at home, you will save money my doing so.  I used to buy brewed iced tea at a convenience store near me everyday before work, and on the way home.  Now, I make my own iced tea, and take it in a sippe container to work.  I save a ton of money by doing so.   Hugs, Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

jeepgirl98
on 6/11/08 8:48 am - Pasco, WA
Trish, Thank you very much for your input it means alot to me I tried to talk to my friend who was addicted to meth for over 18 yrs and she could not grip what I am going through. I have OCD and I dont think it is helping matters either. I am going to set a day and stop it and seek councling I just feel very alone and like its not as important as if it were something else. you say coffee and people usually crack up like yeah whatever like thats a bad thing in my case it is.. Thanks again Hugs Toni

Live  Laugh  Love
Patricia R.
on 6/11/08 10:12 am - Perry, MI
Toni, It will be difficult to get sympathy from some addicts/alcoholics, as they are not going to understand your pain.  But, with OCD, you are suffering in your own, unique way.  Have you had therapy in the past to help you cope with the OCD?  My nephew has suffered from it, and has gotten a lot of help from therapy and meds.   You have understanding friends here.  Feel free to share as much as you need to. Hugs, Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views