Struggling with wine

mary M.
on 5/31/08 2:37 am
I have found myself having a glass or two each evening...and that is not something I have struggled with before.  It is calming.  Am I trading my food addiction for this?  What am I doing to my progress?  My liver?  Advise?

Started: 216
Today: 154
Goal: 140

marieh
on 5/31/08 12:50 pm - So. Easton, MA
Hi Mary M.!!  I can't say if the wine is hampering your progress or your liver. I can only offer an ear and a shoulder for you when you need it. Wine and champagne were my 'drug of choice'. To hear you say you have a few glasses each evening is a concern. I remember my addiction well and know that for ME,  one (or 2) are too many and 1000 would never be enough.  Most people are more aware of addiction transfer because of the media attention the surgery has gotten. It happened to me before I even knew it. I went from alcohol to smoking to food, to shopping to shoes, to sex, to exercise. Once I got into the WLS program, I started seeing a professional to help with food triggers, because the things that made me eat before surgery weren't goign to go away just cuz I HAD it. Why not consider talking to someone about your concerns? Or go to www.aa.org .  If you're thinking you're trading it for food, you probably are. As for the liver damage, only your doctor can tell you that.  Keep posting!! Marie

PittsburghCutie
on 5/31/08 1:30 pm - Pittsburgh, PA
hi mary-

MMMmmmm.....i love wine....love it so much, i started with one or two a day...that turned into1-2 bottles a day....i wish i could drink a big ass 16 ounce glass of it right now. however, i know i can't. they should teach us about addiction transfers before surgery.

not saying this to scare you at all...i got my rny in oct of 2003 and was a full blown alcoholic by the end of 2007. had to do a month long stint in rehab and still continue to do outpatient rehab for alcohol, started in january of 2008, been sober for nearly 5 months now by the grace of God.

My liver is fine, however, I've done permenant damage to my pancreas due to alcohol. As for the weightloss progress, any type of alcohol is countless calories with tons of sugar. I can guarantee you drop those 2 glasses a day(if not more a day) and you will see a few pounds loss. I've lost 26 pounds since January.

This is only *MY* experience, everyone is different...I do know, that if you are questioning it, more than likely the wine is an issue you should attempt to nip in the bud before it gets out of control.

I'm with Marie-Keep talking...to us, family, friends, a doctor of some nature, therapist that deals with addiction, anyone with some knowledge on this topic.

Good luck and keep us updated!

Liz
Go Steelers!!
October, 1st, 2004-LapRNY
298/157/140'ish
jerseygirl38
on 6/1/08 1:36 am
Hi All! Yep, wine is my weakness.  It started with a couple glasses at night, to my husband coming home to find me buzzed at noon on a couple of occassions.  One time, I even had a glass of wine at 10am, knowing I had to work at 3pm!  Oh THAT WAS AWFUL!  Even though these extra events were few and far between, they happend nonetheless and I now recognize I have an issue.  Its only been 4 days for me, but I know that keeping track with you all (and reading the BB/AA meetings) that I can overcome this! Good luck, JG
(deactivated member)
on 6/4/08 2:27 am - IL
I sometimes have a very small glass of red wine after work but I don't consider that enough to be a problem.  It does help me transition from "work" mode to "home" mode.  Sometimes instead of wine, I'll have tea, I've got some nice special teas that work nicely. 
(deactivated member)
on 6/4/08 5:56 am

Mary, I am right there with you.  I am the child of an acoholic and had always been aware of the triggers.  Now, I finish a couple of bottles in a week. I keep asking myself.  Can I handle this or am I becoming dependent?  My weight is stable, maybe 15 pounds from the charted goal weight.  I am sure if I wasn't consuming wine, I would likely drop another pound or two each month.  The weight is NOT my biggest concern, but my interest in the buzz.  I am so upset at myself.  I am also so upset in general and have to think I am not the only one who needs help with the significant changes in my life after WLS.  Wine seemed the easier calming effect.  Maybe not so good. Keep the conversation alive.  It may help many of us to keep it in front of us. Vicky

elizabethb9
on 6/5/08 3:47 pm - Port Hueneme, CA
I can really relate to you. I had surgery 4 years ago and could have a couple of glasses of wine at night. Now after 2 years I could easily dring a couple of bottles. I go on binges and will drink for 2 to 3 days and then stop for a few weeks. I have joined a support group at the hospital where I had the surgery which starts next week. I have not had a drink 5/27/08. I am hoping I can continue to do this; but I sure miss the wine. I also will have black outs and not remember what I have done. Very scary. Elizabeth
SHAYLOVES_75
on 7/15/08 11:29 am

I think (not I think I know) I am struggling with this I sometimes skip meal so that I can drink It has become very hard not to go home and have my glasses of wine once off work, or if I am entertaining friends there drinking and I am drinking my wine to be social but not surpassing my limit
I am truly starting to want to recognize this and make a change I can relate to the stories on here so well

Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views