eating disorders?

Jackie
Multiplepetmom

on 5/28/08 11:41 pm
Hi folks, I am a WLS wanna-be but have put it on hold while I do some emotional work. Is this the right forum to post questions about eating disorders? I've looked at all the forums and I'm not sure. appreciate your views, thanks, Jackie
marieh
on 5/29/08 9:58 pm - So. Easton, MA
Your posts are always welcome here!  Once I stopped drinking and smoking, I started eating. I didn't know it then, but I was in the middle of a classic addiction transfer. Which type of eating disorder are you coming to grips with? Have you tried talking to a therapist or counsellor about it? Not trying to be nosey, but talking DOES help! :)  Please keep reading and posting!! Marie

Jackie
Multiplepetmom

on 5/29/08 10:16 pm
Thanks you for the welcome. I am a compulsive eater. Since I told a friend or two I want to get WLS I've also heard that I'm not fat enough. tell it to my blood pressure!
DeWitney M.
on 6/7/08 1:04 pm - Duncan, OK
I'm so glad to have found your post. I think I might be in the same boat as you. I'm a WLS wannabe as well and i have my first consult in July, but i'm pretty sure I know what they are going to say. I'm pretty sure I've got a food addiction. My current weight is 230 and it flucuates from this down to 210 but no matter what diet or excersice program I try i can never get below 210. Food for me, is comfort. Even today I notice how I feel before, during and after I eat and it scares me. I'm not big on snacking, but i eat around two large meals everyday. Fast food seems to be my ultamate weakeness. This morning I was bored, depressed, and feeling down so I started thinking about how good Mcdonald's sounded...before I knew it I had put my son in the car and driven across town, came in with my "fix" and was sitting in the same place where I had first got the thought. As I was putting the food in my mouth I felt euphoric, comforted, and happy.  Almost the instant that I swallowed the last bite I felt my mood decline to guilty, uncomfortable (full), and depressed again. I'm worried that I either will not be able to get WLS, or that I will get it and will revert back after a period of time, or that I might trade my food addiction for another type of addiction. Any advice or personal experiance accouts would be so helpful. Thanks, DeWitney
Jackie
Multiplepetmom

on 6/7/08 10:28 pm
Did you read The Emtional First Aid Kit by Cythia Alexander? I had actually already scheduled my surgery when I read it and she says you have a much better chance of long term sucess if you deal with the eating "issues" first and then surgery is "the last piece of the puzzle".  I feel like I don't have that much time to wait so as a compromise, I have found a psychologist and a nutritionist who specialize in eating disorders and I will see them a few times before I go. my surgery is now scheduled for august. this also gives me time to exercise regularly so I recover faster. so at least I have help when I come back.. the psychologist said I will be at high risk for transfering the compulsion to something else:  drinking, gambling, shopping, sex, etc I can't tell you want you need but I am sure permanent weight loss is possible and surgery is the best option for some people. find some help first! and good luck!
Butterfly1
on 7/10/08 2:16 pm
I am new here and came upon this post.  I also am a food addict, and have been for MANY decades!!!   I started reading at OH forums, as I came to the conclusion that I needed to have surgery as a tool to help me lose weight.  I have been involved in an Eating Disorder Program for over a year.  I have well over 200 pounds to loose.  I was planning on getting the lap band procedure.  But my counselor has now suggested I try an intensive OP program first.  She does many groups with a variety of clients who have all had WLS, and it certainly isn't a cure all.  Many clients just eat right through it, and gain weight back.  I worry that I would do that, and that I really need to deal with the need for eating too much, and all the time.  That won't change.  I feel I could always find ways to work around it.  So I decided against the WLS for now.   I find it so discouraging, as I don't know why I keep doing this to myself!  I want to stop, and regain control over my life!
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views