Anyone ever go through Ativan detox?

anne_b
on 5/28/08 9:55 am - Covina, CA
Hi all, about this time last year, I was prescribed ativan to help with my insomnia.  To make a long story short, I kept needing more and more and realized about a month ago that I was addicted.  This was only because my HMO won't let you refill your meds until a normal dosage period has elapsed.  In other words, I was going through a month's worth of Ativan in less than two weeks. I am not a stranger to addictions, as my bariatric surgery was a result of a lifelong addiction to food, and I have also struggled from time to time with other prescription drugs.  After my surgery, I was drinking too much alcohol but have been sober since January 11 of this year.  As a result, I have spent a great deal of time in OA, and a little time each in AA and NA. But to cut to the chase, I (perhaps stupidly) went cold turkey from ativan about three weeks ago, mostly because I wanted a refill so badly I thought of going to another doctor to get a second prescription and my insanity scared the hell out of me.  Since then, I have been very tired, jittery, experienced trembling in my hands, high and low body temperature, ringing in my ears, the usual withdrawal effects. So here's my question:  I can tell the mental fog caused by the ativan is lifting, but I feel like a trainwreck.  I thought about telling my doctor what was going on and try to get a refill and then gradually take myself off, but heck, it's been three weeks and I don't ever want to have anything to do with this poison ever again.  But how long will my trainwreck state of being take before I am detoxed?  Is there something I can take to get it out of my system? What has been your experience?  Any input, positve or negative, will be greatly appreciated.
Highest Known Weight:  312 lbs.
Weight on Surgery Day:  302 lbs.
Current Weight:  197 lbs.
Weight Lost:  -115 lbs. from Highest Weight
Goal Weight:  165 lbs.
Weight Loss Needed to Reach Goal:  32 lbs. to Go!

PittsburghCutie
on 5/28/08 11:15 am - Pittsburgh, PA
for insomnia are you talking ativan or ambien?

I was munching down on some ativan for a minute there, but my biggie was xanax. They are both in the same family. Detoxing from xanax is ****ty. shakes, sweats, miserable, foggy brain.

Once you are through your first 72 hours you will be fine, sure you have the after effects which will wear off, but, if you plan on doing it again....those first 72 hours are deathly pending how much your dosage is. I detoxed off of it on my own and when I told my doc, he said you are lucky you didn't die.

Take that as you will...I do know this, I will never take anything like that again. Ask your doctor about trazidone. It's non addictive doing the same thing.

Good luck and keep us updated!

Liz

GO PENS!
Go Steelers!!
October, 1st, 2004-LapRNY
298/157/140'ish
Patricia R.
on 5/28/08 12:35 pm - Perry, MI
I recommendd staying in close communication with your doctor no matter what.  He is the one who can help you wean off meds, and give you less addictive ones to help you. Good luck. Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

anne_b
on 5/28/08 1:11 pm - Covina, CA
Thanks to both of you for responding.  Yes, it was ativan I was on, because my mind would just spin with stuff I had to do at work, around the house, whatever.  It was like K *** radio was continously playing in my head. Wow, it's been 72 hours already, way more than that.  I did stop taking Lyrica (a vile med that has been getting lots of attention because it supposedly helps with Fibromyalgia, which is what I have -- sad part is that it causes more problems than it fixes) over the weekend, maybe I am withdrawing from that too.  It is so weird, it's like this little voice in my head told me to get my **** together at all costs, even if it means short term pain. After I first posted above, I sent my Dr. the low-down on what's been happening.  She is a wonderful person and has never shamed me or anything.  I know she will help me no matter what.  Gosh, what is it about addiction that makes you want to sneak around and keep secrets, even though they are about nothing??? Thanks for the advice about the non-addictive stuff too.  Not sure if I want to do anything right now except get clean and deal with my feelings.  Thank you GOD, He is slow but never late!!!
Highest Known Weight:  312 lbs.
Weight on Surgery Day:  302 lbs.
Current Weight:  197 lbs.
Weight Lost:  -115 lbs. from Highest Weight
Goal Weight:  165 lbs.
Weight Loss Needed to Reach Goal:  32 lbs. to Go!

(deactivated member)
on 6/6/08 7:17 pm
try drinking more water than usual to wa**** out of your system faster. That's what the doctors had me do when I had a bad reaction to Tegretol.
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views