How do meetings work?

jerseygirl38
on 5/27/08 1:46 am
Great news!  I had a looooong talk w/ the hubby and he has agreed to quit drinking with me! WOW!  I started to read the big book and now I have questions about how meetings work.  Do we just show up at one?  Are there any "intro" meetings?  Is there a particular meeting agenda that we should focus on (i.e. open discussion, BB) ?  Thanks for all of your help gang!
Patricia R.
on 5/27/08 7:18 am - Perry, MI
Congratulations on reading the Big Book and being willing to attend meetings.  There are many different types of meetings and they can all benefit you.  There are beginners meetings, but any meeting will help you, if you have an open mind.  Just show up and when they ask if there are newcomers, raise your hand and say your name and say you are new.  You should be welcomed and after the meeting stick around and ask for phone numbers of the women. 
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Kellye C.
on 5/27/08 7:32 am - Highlands, TX
Congrats on making a first step.  As Patricia said, there are different types of meetings.  If you can find a beginner's that would be great but don't let it stop you from making one.  At my home group theret is a saying that the newcomer is the most important person at the meeting so newcomers are always a welcome sight.  It's also great that you have support from your hubby. My mom took me to my first meeting almost 4 years ago now.  I was terrified but desperate and dying.  As luck would have it, it was a ladies meeting and I felt so relieved to be with people who actually understood what I was going through.  I felt accepted, not judged. Good luck on your first meeting.  Main thing is to go in with an open mind and when people speak don't focus on how different they may be from you but listen for any similarities in what they are saying and what you are living.  Make several meetings because each meeting/group tends to have its own flavor. While getting sober was one of the hardest things I have ever done it has also been one of the most rewarding! Take care, Kellye
tbjohn
on 5/31/08 8:37 pm - Loves Park, IL
This is a huge step for you and a very courageous one.  You will be welcomed to any meeting you choose to attend.  Do not let the type of meeting discourage your attending.  If you introduce yourself as a newcomer chances are the it will turn into a first step meeting where the attendees will share their stories of what it was like, what happened, and what it is like now.  As mentioned, look and listen for similliarities to their stories and yours.  Try to attend as many meetings as you can and don't be scared to speak to anyone (as hard as it sounds).  It is the new comers that keep many of the old timers sober.   Remember that you have to do this for yourself.  You can't do this for your husband , anyone or anything else. Tom
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views