please help

unidentified
on 5/13/08 12:58 am
So last week i went in to see my surgeon, and he stated that he was going to test me for ciggeretes. well i just quite. ( i know this is terrible i shouldnt have lied) but i told them that i have never smoked before. So now i had to go in for the test, and i freaked out and added warm water to my urine sample. What will happen? Will they know that i did this? I have been looking online and it dosnt look like they can, but im not sure. Any one know anything about this?
PittsburghCutie
on 5/13/08 1:27 am - Pittsburgh, PA
uni-

Hi, I can understand the fear of failing a nicotine test, however, lying and adding water to your urine? When we lie, 9 out of 10 times we get caught.

For something this important, you quite possibly could have ruined your chances of even getting surgery.

I smoke cigarettes, and not to scare you, but along with my urine and blood tests, I also got saliva swabbed as well for nicotine at my pre-op and the day of my surgery. The reason they test for this is because 1) we heal much more slowly when we smoke and 2) nicotine is NOT good for our digestive system before surgery, let alone after we get surgery.

Good luck and let us know what happens.
Liz

ps-lying is a very addictive behavior that will lead to other addictive behaviors.
Go Steelers!!
October, 1st, 2004-LapRNY
298/157/140'ish
RHONDA FROM KY
on 5/13/08 1:39 am - ALEXANDRIA, KY

I don't know.. but what I do know.. is that I would just feel like **** for lying.. and I would waller in my misery until I came clean.. and faced the consequences.  Perhaps you will feel better if you just call and ask your surgeon's office these questions..  just sayin..  they may be more understanding (or not),  than learning it on their own.. 

It is good to have an end to journey towards; but it is the journey that matters in the end.  ~Ursula K. LeGuin

Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views