recovering bulimic

kdmox
on 5/7/08 2:50 am - Baltimore, MD
HI All- At the research stage of having lap band surgery. Meeting with PCP and attending seminar next week. I am a recovering bulimic/binge eater. Anyone else have these problems pre surgery and how are you know? Any info is helpful!!
RHONDA FROM KY
on 5/7/08 6:51 am - ALEXANDRIA, KY
sorry.. but I have not had experience with that.  Best wishes tho.. and I hope you find some answers

It is good to have an end to journey towards; but it is the journey that matters in the end.  ~Ursula K. LeGuin

ShaunaKB
on 5/7/08 7:50 am - Denver, CO
Yes, I have had and am having trouble with this, though I had RNY, not lap band.  I was hospitalized 2-3 times in my late 20's for bulimia treatment.  I had my eating disorder under control, with a few minor relapses, for 8-10 years.  I had managed to control the binge eating, for the most part, for a very long time, as well (I thought/I think--not so sure anymore).  Because it had been so long since I had really struggled with my eating disorder, I didn't really expect it to be an issue.  I figured some old issues might come up, but that it wouldn't be that hard.  I was wrong. Having one's focus be so much about weight-loss, and experiencing the fears and uncertainties that can come with losing that shield of fat that's been protecting me, not to mention the issues that made me gain all that weight in the first place, combined with the post-RNY nausea and vomiting that comes as foods are added back in, has been extremely difficult.  They all converged to create, at least for me, an easy slide back in to the old obsessions, and back to purging.  Now, I'm struggling with a full-blown eating disorder again, and it's difficult--and frustrating--and discouraging. However,  if you're having the lap band, I don't think you'll have as many problems with nausea and vomiting that someone who's had RNY may have, which might help.  In addition, if you're using a "Center of Excellence," and it's close to you, they should have a therapist with whom you can work on this, if and when it comes up.  The social worker that works with my surgeon meets with me every week, and communicates with me regularly between sessions, if I need her.  She has been the one thing that has saved me from sinking so far into the hole that I'd have to be dragged out, perhaps not even realizing how bad it's gotten; so, helping me stay aware and away from hospitalization for ED treatment again. I also just found out that one of the eating disorder treatment programs in my city has a group for people who have had, or are considering having, bariatric surgery and are struggling with an eating disorder.  My reason for mentioning this: I really thought I was totally alone, but if an ED treatment center is sponsoring a group, there's a lot of people like me, and you, out there--you are not alone. I'm not doing fabulously well right now--'m really struggling, and I don't have a lot of answers, but if you need any help or support, please contact me.  I could use some support, as well, so maybe we can help each other. Best of luck.
HOTTMAMMA
on 5/31/08 11:24 pm

I will soon be 3 years out of gbs. I am anorxic and bulimic. Was before I had my gbs. I have been in a eating disorder hospital 2 times in the month of I think February. I stay depressed,sick,weak,very underweight. I guess I will always have a eating disorder. I got down to 80lbs. and was in the hospital 8 days getting jars of fat ran into a picc line. I obsess about my weight real bad. If I see over 95lbs. I freak out and stop eating untill I get back down. Good luck to ya.

Amy 

Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views