Post-RNY_Eating_Disorders

jamiecatlady5
on 4/28/08 7:25 pm - UPSTATE, NY
I am seeing more and more eating disorders post gastric bypass in the in peson support groups I facilitate (3) and online as well...So a friend and myself Sandra B have set up a newgroup for post-RNY (ONLY) grads (must be 1 year out) who are having issues with an eating disorder. *Yes ONLY gastric bypass and yes only those 1 yr + out and YES only those with eating disorders NOT those who want to lurk to not develop one please!).

This is a hard & very personal topic for several of us, yet we need ACTIVE support and access to resources to help us with our daily struggle. What we hope is to provide a safe environment where we can voice our issues and perhaps make progress in our very personal battle with food. I will help her moderate as I am able.

What you will find on our group is a growing files section with resources that you can access to help you in your journey. We also have links to some resources that may be of assistance as well. It is our expectation that we will continue to add to the resources as we find new things in our quest.

We decided to keep the focus of the group to those who are RNY grads so that we are all working from the same base, but realize that the eating disorders that are experienced will vary. This is not meant to detract from this current group only offer augmentation to so don't leave just join both and participate on both!

Sandra reports: "I know that for me, personally, I need an active group so that I can deal with my own food issues or I will find myself back where I began my journey in December 2003. I am headed in that direction and it is unacceptable. I can name a variety of reasons for why this is happening to me, but I freely admit that I am NOT doing my part to minimize the damage. One thing is absolutely certain for me and that is anger and avoidance is not making it any better. I am a grazer and I eat when I am not hungry."

So if you are interested in making this journey with us, please join us at:
http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/post-RNY_Eating_Disorders/ Please be specific about your surgery type, date of surgery, and the fact that you have an eating disorder when you apply to join as that will speed up the process for you.

Please feel free to cross post this message to other WLS groups (that is okayed with moderators first if indicated) so that we are able to reach those people who are struggling with their eating disorder. Our surgery gave us a valuable tool, but it did not include brain surgery to help us with our unhealthy relationship with food.

Sandra B
Arizona
~~~~~~~~~~
[email protected] ~ Open RNY 12/8/03, 150 cm "Know your labs and track your trends."

http://health.groups.yahoo.com/group/post-RNY_Eating_Disorders/ for grad RNYers who are having a problem with an eating disorder and need support.

AND

Jamie Ellis RN MS NPP
100cm proximal Lap RNY 10/9/02 Dr. Singh Albany, NY
320(preop)/163(lowest)/185(current) 5'9'' (lost 45# before surgery)
Plastics 6/9/04 & 11/11/2005 Dr. King www.albanyplasticsurgeons.com
http://www.obesityhelp.com/member/jamiecatlady5/
"Being happy doesn't mean everything's perfect, it just means you've decided to see beyond the imperfections!"
Take Care,
Jamie Ellis RN MS NPP

320(preop)/163(lowest)/185(current)  5'9'' (lost 45# before surgery)
Plastics 6/9/04 & 11/11/2005  Dr. King
www.albanyplasticsurgeons.com
"Being happy doesn't mean everything's perfect, it just means you've decided to see beyond the imperfections!"
ShaunaKB
on 5/7/08 7:23 am - Denver, CO
I'm wondering why you are limiting the group to people who are at least one year out.  I am struggling mightily with my eating disorder, need some support, am having a really hard time finding it, and I'm only 5 1/2 months out.  I was a recovering bulimic before surgery (I thought that part of my life was long past because I'd had a handle on it, for the most part, for years), and when I started back on solid food, the eating disorder that had been dormant was back with a vengeance. Since you seem adamant about the requirements (and with most of them, I totally get it), and while I meet all of those requirements, except the amount of time since surgery, I was wondering if you, anybody, knows where I can find some support.  I was so relieved to find that the addictions forums here finally had a group for people with ED's, I'd been looking for awhile, and really thought I was a freak or something.  I felt so alone.  To find out that I can't participate because of time was, well, to be perfectly honest, heartbreaking.  I fell back in to my eating disorder far too easily and quickly as it is; I can't afford to wait until November to get the support I need, and want, now.  So, any suggestions (from anybody who knows of other resources) would be greatly appreciated.
jamiecatlady5
on 5/7/08 11:49 am - UPSTATE, NY
The decision to make this for those 1 year out, and only for gastric bypassers was based on our personal experiences and vision/focus for the group. We can appreciate others having a differing view and would support them in development of whatever they believe is needed as we focus on the positives of each opportunity and decision we have as individuals.

This in no way means we disagree that other procedures (Bands, VBGers, Sleeves, BPD's, BPD/DSers, JI bypassers, mini bypassers etc) or newbies (those less than a year out) have issues, it is just not the focus of this list.

Too many times shamed by a newbie who says something w.o having an experience of knowledge of what happens after a eyar (for me 3 yrs)..is the key to a safe place...

I recommend individual therapy, you are worth it, OA and or CODA can help. I also have an online group ossg-addictions on yahoo.
I wish you well.
Take Care,
Jamie Ellis RN MS NPP

320(preop)/163(lowest)/185(current)  5'9'' (lost 45# before surgery)
Plastics 6/9/04 & 11/11/2005  Dr. King
www.albanyplasticsurgeons.com
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views