educate me about aa

Loril
on 4/10/08 1:20 am, edited 4/10/08 1:42 am - Hopkins, MN

I swear Im going tonight (1st time ever), pls explain to me what a "white chip" is and how the medallion thing works.  I'm trying to learn as much about the program as I can, I am so scared to go.  BUT I WILL!  I swear.  Thanks in advance, Lori

Lori at Goal  

RNY October 2004

Curious G.
on 4/10/08 4:36 am - Peachtree City, GA
All a white chip is - is a sign of surrender.  A white chip denotes a willingness to surrender TODAY to be sober TODAY.  People usually pick one up when they decide they want to begin sobriety on a one day at a time basis as per the program, or when returning from a slip/relapse to denote that they once again surrender.  Basically - we are just waving the white flag at alcohol!  First step - we admitted we have a problem with alcohol and our lives are unmanagable.  It's just a symbol representation that admission. In our groups here in Georgai - there are also chips to denote 30, 60 and 90 days of continuous sobriety.  After increments of a year or more - a medallion is given to commemorate each year of sobriety. Basically they're symbols of progress.  It's also a nice thing to hold in your hand - tangible for reflection when the head demons come out in full effect. hope this helps!  - get to a meeting - the people are super nice - nothing to be scared of! Love and light, Michelle
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  "God does not care about our mathmatecial difficulties - he integrates emperically!" - Albert Einstein

Patricia R.
on 4/10/08 8:24 am - Perry, MI
Hi Lori, You will be amazed after you attend your first meeting.  The people there are there for you.  A beginner is the most important person at our meetings.  There will be some people reading from sheets or cards that were handed out prior to the meeting, and the leader will probably ask if this is anyone's first AA meeting.  You will be asked to give your first name.  You will be welcomed.  People will share about their recovery throughout the meeting, depending on the format of the meeting.  Some meetings have literature being read first, others have a speaker share their story.  Either way, try to listen for how you relate to the feelings of the speaker or writer of the story.   After the meeting, stick around and ask some women for phone numbers so you can call them to learn more.  It is good to get to know people between the meetings, and you can ask them where the good meetings are in your area. Post later to let us know how the meeting went. Hugs, Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views