Fellow Ice Chewers?

kimmisue35
on 3/25/08 4:37 am - loomis, CA
Hi there. I was previously a member here, however; it has been so long since I've logged in and I don't have my user name and password anymore. :-( I had surgery in 2001 and it was definitely a sucess. I had lost over 240 lbs in aproximately 2 years. Unfortunately over time, I have gained back about 30 lbs, but I am still very happy with the outcome.  I wondered if any of you long term post -ops found yourselves addicted to ice? I have read quite a bit about it in forums around the net, and have noticeD a few that have mentioned having had WLS. Of course, anemia seems to be the culprit here. I am sorry to say, I am definitely not a fan of going to the doctor and keeping up with my yearly post - op appointments. I am going to schedule an appointment to get my blood levels/vitamins checked. I was just curious to find out really how many of you are out there that have this problem with anemia and ice addiction. IT'S BECOMING WAY OUT OF CONTROL FOR ME!!!
piper
on 3/25/08 11:49 pm
you really need to have your blood work done at least yearly. Ice chewing in WLS patients can indicate a pretty sever iron deficiecy. I didn't have mine done for 2 years and am now having some problems. Very low Vit D and B12 as well as anemia. Here is an artical from the Mayo clinic. The syndrome is called pica.

Possibly. Doctors use the term "pica" to describe craving and chewing substances that have no nutritional value — such as ice, clay, cornstarch or paper. Craving and chewing ice (pagophagia) is often associated with iron deficiency anemia — although it may be associated with other nutritional problems as well.

It's not known why some people with iron deficiency anemia crave and chew ice. Researchers from one recent study suggested it may be because of ice's pain-relieving properties, since some people with iron deficiency anemia experience tongue pain and inflammation (glossitis). The same researchers found that ice has a new and better taste to some people who are iron deficient.

In some individuals, pica is a sign of emotional problems, such as stress, obsessive-compulsive disorder or a developmental disorder.

A thorough medical evaluation can help determine if pica is due to an underlying medical condition. If the cause of pica is an emotional or developmental issue, cognitive behavioral therapy may be helpful

kimmisue35
on 3/26/08 2:18 am - loomis, CA
Thanks for the reply. I have read this as well, and I have an appointment to go to the doctor. I really noticed there are several people that have PICA, by visiting icechewers.com... I was amazed really, by how many people have this, and I thought I was one of a few. I was just really curious to see how many people that have had WLS have encountered this, and, when taking iron, if the cravings really go away. Do you chew ice as well? ~K~
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views