Need advice

HelpMe33
on 3/18/08 3:33 am
Since this board is for all addictions, I need some advice. I have to post privately because I know there is someone that knows me posting here as well.  I have always had an addictive personality. Mostly it was food (like most of us). Now that the food part is over (as much as it ever can be), I turned back to smoking about 6 months ago (I had quit for a year and a half). If I hadn't been exposed to way too much alcoholism in my life, I could easily see myself turning there. I have a addiction to coffee. I know it sounds strange, but I can't get through a day without it (decaf of course!!).  Now I seem to have developed an addiction to sex. For other reasons I don't need to go into, I have never been into sex. It was always a chore for me. Now it's all I think about. My body is in a constant state of arousal. It's frustrating. I tried thinking it may be medical and just had a lot of bloodwork done. It all came back normal, normal thryoid, normal hormone levels, etc.  I think there are 2 things at play, I think I may be in a manic state right now (I have bipolar), and I have an addiction. I feel powerless over the urges. I swear to myself and really mean it that I'm not going to do, say or think certain things, the same way an alcoholic says they aren't going to drink again, right up until they take that sip.  I've already made mistakes that should not have been made and I don't know how to  not make them again. Anyone out there have the same issue? Any advice? Thanks.
RHONDA FROM KY
on 3/18/08 6:33 am - ALEXANDRIA, KY

Hello again.. I recommend.. getting back on your meds.. for your bi-polar condition.. and to see about working the 12 steps into your life.  Try and AA meeting or a meeting that pertains to YOUR addiction.. you can probably google to see if there is one in your area.  Mention/speak to your doctor/surgeon about your addiction.  There is help out here.. there are many in your shoes.. you are not alone.

see if you can find and read A Day At A Time.. it's very helpful.  Do you believe in God.. or a HigherPower.. start developing a very close and personal relationship with *him* NOW.  Let *him* be your new addiction. and please keep coming back here.. we can really use your support too.

It is good to have an end to journey towards; but it is the journey that matters in the end.  ~Ursula K. LeGuin

marieh
on 3/18/08 8:23 am - So. Easton, MA
Hi!  I see a therapist once a week for my triggers. I no longer crave alcohol (I've been sober 22 yrs) but there are other things I transferred my addiction  to long before I knew there was a name for it. There is a fellowship group for sexaholics, but I'm not sure if there's a website or not.  Wht you might want to try is IF you're seeing a doctor or counsellor for your bi-polar condition, ask about the new med I've seen advertised called Abilify. It's reported to help with cravings while it keeps your moods from huge swings. Can;t hurt to ask, right? Good luck with things! Marie

Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views