Minimum amount of time sober needed b4 approved for WLS?

Telbereth
on 3/11/08 4:55 am - SW , MO
Title says it all... What is the minimum amount of time clean and sober that Doc's or Psychs look for before they will agree to perform a WLS? I understand each doc will set their own but there must be some general guidelines out there somewhere. Looking forward to your responses. T
Beginning My Real Life

A Work in Progress

Tanyaka
on 3/11/08 4:16 pm - Lake Stevens, WA
I just read in " The Real Skinny on Weight Loss Surgery"  that is around 6 months,  My Dr. wanted only 30 days from cigarettes and booze, then to wait at least 3 months to resume cigs and 1 year for booze.  To tell you the truth, I am 30  and married to a Navy man and I used to drink A LOT before this surgery and now that I have had it, I really do not have the desire anymore.  I was never a alcoholic, but since I stopped drinking my quality of life is so much better!  Do not get this surgery if you want to continue to drink because It will be 5x harder on your liver than it is now.   Read the book I referenced above, it explains it all! Good luck! 

Patricia R.
on 3/12/08 6:16 am - Perry, MI
I was coming up on six years sober before I had my surgery, so my shrink never gave it a thought but to clear me.  I have since relapsed, because I have not been taking care of myself, like going to my AA  meetings with regularity.   Be honest with your doc, regardless of what you think.  Your health is his/her responsibility. Hugs, Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Telbereth
on 3/13/08 3:22 am, edited 3/13/08 3:23 am - SW , MO

I plan to be honest.  What I'm trying to determine is if I only had 1month, 3 months, 6 months or 12, etc. and they are looking for 2, 3, or 5 years +  then I might as well save myself the insurance and/or self-finance headaches for now and just place things on hold until the magic number i**** and then start the process.

Beginning My Real Life

A Work in Progress

DarDar
on 3/13/08 4:33 am - exton, PA

I was told 6 months....and at the time...I just made it! However, by God's Grace I have been sober for 2 years and 9 months. Bad, idea to drink if your having or had this surgery...just my thoughts. DarDar

339/197/124 (yeah...right)
Telbereth
on 3/13/08 6:13 am - SW , MO
I totally agree.  Have not been, and God willing, will not.  Just wanted to make sure I wasn't going to be spinning my wheels.
Beginning My Real Life

A Work in Progress

Telbereth
on 3/25/08 6:51 am - SW , MO
Alrighty...I need a little more help here please.  A sample of 1 won't suffice for my PCP.  Any help is greatly appreciated! T
Beginning My Real Life

A Work in Progress

Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views