Outpatient trtmnt?

Loril
on 2/29/08 2:23 am - Hopkins, MN
What exactly is outpatient treatment?  Has anyone done this?  Thanks in advance!  Lori

Lori at Goal  

RNY October 2004

Patricia R.
on 2/29/08 5:42 am, edited 2/29/08 5:42 am - Perry, MI
I did outpatient for my eating disorder.  My son did it for drugs. Basically, it is several hours at a time, several days a week.  For example, my eating disorder treatment was from 4 pm. to 8:30 pm three nights a week.  My son's treatment was from 6 to 9 pm, three nights a week.  One evening was devoted to family group sessions, which allowed family members to learn about addiction and get support. Usually there are psychoeducational groups and individual therapy sessions mixed with group therapy and other things. I hope this helps. Hugs, Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

piper
on 3/3/08 5:42 am
You basically would be in the same type of program as an inpatient but you do not sleep at the hospital or facility. You go home at night. Some programs are during the day for about 4-5 hours and others are in the evening for people who cannot miss work while in treatment. Depending on the program, you may be in with other patients who were in the hospital and are now attending day/eve treatment. I did it and though I was only sucessful with staying sober for about 5 weeks I would say it did help me. Most of all it made me convinced that this is a brain disease because I always felt being an alcoholic was a weakness having grown up with a house full of addicts. I see now how wrong I was. A few yrs after my surgery I began to drink after 12 long years of not allowing alcohol into my life. Anyway, usually you attend group sessions all day and meet with a counsler one on one as well. Most programs are 12 step based plus other helpful information on recovery etc.  Good luck on what you decide to do. Some folks need to get out of thier living situations and do inpatient in order to be sucessful. No matter how you look at it, it can be very scary to do this either way.   I am not sober today but I certainly have a lot of knowledge about treatment. Best to you.
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views