Gambling Addiction, first time posting on this forum

lilchickad
on 2/29/08 1:24 am - Bonney Lake, WA
Hi All, This is a very hard post for me to make, but here I am doing it.  I have been a gambler for probably 10+ years.  I have stopped and started and stopped and started, so I can't really blame WLS or "transfer addiction".  Gambling is such a crazy addiction to deal with.  It is not drugs, it is not alcohol, but it sure does do the same damage to one's self as if it were.  I have been going gambling and hiding it from my spouse (again).  Well, the hammer finally came down, and he found out.  I am now going to therapy and trying to straighten things out, but boy is it going to take a while.  Once that trust has been broken in a marriage, it is hard to gain it back.   When my spouse and I met, we gambled probably 5 nights a week.  Who was to know that I was going to be the one that could just not "stop" when we needed to.  GAWD I HATE THIS!!!  I hate feeling the way I feel.  I hate being disappointed in myself, I hate that I have disappointed my DH, I hate what it does to my kids.   I guess what I am trying to say is, if anyone has any words of wisdom on here, I could REALLY use them right now.  Thanks so much! Always, Laura 230/103/110 preop/current/goal
RHONDA FROM KY
on 2/29/08 1:55 am - ALEXANDRIA, KY
hello.. your description of how your addiction makes you feel.. sounds the same as if it were any other person's addiction.. alcohol.. sex..  food..   so you have come to a good place.. Welcome!! congratulations on identifing your problem.. and taking a step in getting betterhope you keep coming back..

It is good to have an end to journey towards; but it is the journey that matters in the end.  ~Ursula K. LeGuin

Patricia R.
on 2/29/08 5:46 am - Perry, MI
Gambling addiction is a behavioral addiction, just like shopping and sex.  I could be addicted to it if I allowed myself.  I already have the other two, on top of alcohol and food. Good for you for admitting it.  Have you tried Gamblers Anonymous?  I hear that they are helpful, just as AA is helpful for me. Welcome to the addictions forum. Hugs, Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

marieh
on 2/29/08 8:23 am - So. Easton, MA
Hi Laura, Welcome!! You've come to a wonderful place! We're all addicts, in various stages of getting through one day/hour/minute at a time. I'm addicted to a LOT of things, alcohol is only one of them. One thing I can say is everyone on this group knows EXACTLY how you feel!  As for words of wisdom, maybe trying out GA would help. If you do, work the program, love yourself enough to accept that we're each human, and flawed....and check back here often. I hope you find it as comfortable here as I did the first time I posted!  Hugs, Marie

sandra711
on 2/29/08 9:52 pm - central village, CT
Hi and welcome I am pretty new to this forum too. First, give yourself a big hug because you made the first step of admitting you have this addiction.Then squeeze yourself tight and tell yourself I deserve the best for me and worth even more and I will do all that is needed to put my addiction to sleep. And live my life day by day. Then squeeze even tighter and that is all of us here at OH hugging back and giving you all the support you need. Keep us in touch and stay strong we are here for you. Lots of Hugs, Sandra

lilchickad
on 3/1/08 12:53 am - Bonney Lake, WA

Thank you all so much for your wonderful replies.  I am hanging in there.  Taking one day at a time.  I am still in the honeymoon period, so gambling does not even sound appealing, but I am sure in a couple of weeks, I will be really struggling.   Things are getting much better with my husband.  I am so lucky to have such a supportive and wonderful husband who loves me even when I screw up.  I just want to kick this addiction so I do not EVER have to feel this way again.  Hugs to all of you :) Laura

PamLane
on 3/4/08 6:39 am - Houston, TX
I'm in AA myself and can understand your despair.  Don't give up on yourself. 
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views