New to this Board - So excited!

curtwild
on 2/7/08 12:38 am - MN
Wow am I excited to have found this board. Hold on because this may be a long message!!! I used this board back in 2005 when I first got banded, weight was 265. Current weight is 222      I started coming back on the board because I was starting to think about a revision. My band has been very frustrating.  I have had so many fills. In fact i had to have my fluid let out a week and a 1/2 ago for a breast reduction and got it put back in last Thursday. When they took it out there was 3.8 cc's in. At that I felt some what restricted, but wouldn't have complained with more, although under florel (moving x-ray) it appeared I was almost completely constricted. When they went to fill me, again under florel he put in a whoppin 3 cc's and said it looks just perfect. Can you believe it. I feel like I could eat a whole steak with fixens and then dessert!! And then in my mind set I over eat because I am depressed which I know is not a good anwser, but hey, I will be honest!! I just feel so hopeless and helpless right now. I just have these rolling tapes in my head: Have I tried hard enough . . . . Sara, you have definately eaten WAY to much chocolate . . . .  this is ONLY a tool . . . you have to do the footwork . . . having a revision is a copout, just a way to get to eat more food . . . I have a background in mental health so understand from a clinical standpoint the way my mind is working, but of course those of us in mental health get there often times to fix ourselves!! To let you know I am diagnosed bipolar with severe depression and anxiety. I am for the first time in years medicated correctly and doing well. My surgeon is aware of all of this. And yes, I am completely addicted to food.   About 13 months ago my familiy did an intervention and I went to Hazelden for 40 days for alcholol and drug addicition. My first love is Prescription drugs, narcotics and benzos!! I stay clean and sober with my higher power, meetings and my sponser. But .. . . . recently my food addiction has gotten way out of hand. The band is falling behind, and I am not keeping up my end of the bargin either. I know recovery. I know the pain of abstinance, walking by the reece's pieces has the same effect as not picking up a vicoden bottle for me. And yet I don't pick up the bottle but I do pick up the bag. I know my program. I have tried OA. But those were steps I just couldn't take. What is funny is I have abstained from drugs and alcohol, but once I got sober the battle with food just got so much worse. Sometimes I contemplate a relapse just so I can stop eating. Isn't that HORRIBLE!! So how much of this is the band, how much of this is me, how much is the disease of addiction.  ONe of my problems is that I have always had the clinical knowledge of addiction and psychology and my head gets in the way, and what do they say "get out of your head, its a bad neighborhood!!!" Whew, I should probably stop there, I think I will probably paste this into my profile!!  Thanks to all of you. Any feedback or support is sooo welcome.  Namaste,  Sara
marieh
on 2/8/08 9:32 am - So. Easton, MA
Hi Sara!!   Welcome to the board! This is a very warm, comfortable place!! I've been posting here for several months. I can't even remember how long now, but this board is home for me! It's the only board I actively post to on OH.  One thing I can say about your post is that for me, my addiction manifests in other avenues just as yours has. I don't worry about not drinking 24/7 like I used to, but the spin-offs from it have me messed up every day. I still struggle with shopping, food, mild depression and more shopping. I don't know if this will help you or not, but I'm thinking *I* need to work my program again. Those 12 steps saved my life 22 years ago and continue to do so every day when I work them.  I bet they'll help you too. We (addicts) can find a bizillion ways to justify what we do, eat, drink, shoot, swallow, etc. We're addicts. It's our job! When you're ready, you'll 'quit work'.. :)  You'll WANT to. I still battle food, but now my biggest demon is shopping. When I get nervous, anxious, angry, yada, yada, yada, I need something to make me feel better.  Food isn't cutting it for me much anymore, but shopping sure does. I'm telling myself that I'm losing so I need stuff that fits. Problem is, it might only fit for a week. But its' just another addiction transfer. I'm always going to be an addict. We (on this board) are all learning how to be HEALTHIER at it.  Having the clinical knowledge that you do can be dangerous. Can you try getting out of your head at least whiel you're in therapy and/or meetings?  You're just another addict in those settings. I'm not sure how much that will help, but it's a suggestion?! Hugs, Marie

marieh
on 2/8/08 9:33 am - So. Easton, MA
I forgot to mention that I'm glad you're medicating properly and well!! That must be a huge relief for you!! :) Marie

Patricia R.
on 2/9/08 11:25 am - Perry, MI
When I got sober in 2001, I turned to the food big time.  I gained over 60 pounds in a few years.  That led me to eating disorder treatment, and to the surgery.  I recently relapsed with alcohol, and am still struggling with the food.  When I work my AA program, I am in a better place than if I don't.   A really good book about food addiction is "Anatomy of a Food Addiction" by Anne Katherine, M.A.  It helps me understand all of my addictions, not just the food. I am glad you are on the right meds for bipolar disorder.  I have been on meds for years, and know their importance in my self-care regimen. Keep us posted on your progress.  We are here for you. Hugs, Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views