Psych Eval and Addictions

(deactivated member)
on 2/4/08 3:59 am - NC
Has anyone been denied in their psych eval for surgery because of past addictions?  I am starting to worry, even tho I shouldn't.  I use to have a serious drinking problem.  I didn't drink for 4 years.  Not one drink.  So for some odd reason I started drinking in November, had my eval in January.  Well, she told me I would not ever be able to have a drink again.  Knowing that I would need support I joined AA.  My psychologist doesn't know I have joined AA.  I did it because I am serious about having surgery and if it is between drinking or having surgery, the surgery wins.  Well.  I was told that the psych report would be back in two weeks.  We are hitting three weeks now and I am almost two weeks clean of drinking.  I called on Friday and was told by the receptionist that the report wasn't done yet and that I'll know when it is done.  So.  Should I worry? 
Patricia R.
on 2/4/08 6:45 am - Perry, MI
I had no trouble with my psych eval because I was sober almost 5 years when I was getting my surgery.   Why doesn't your psychologist know you have joined AA?  That is something he/she should know.  It is good news in therapy. Good luck with your eval. Hugs, Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

pokeybooth
on 2/4/08 9:55 am - bossier city, LA
I made it through my pshyc eval with alcohol and meth addiction in my past. I had been clean and sober for 3 1/2 years at the time. I would have told about A.A. because they understand. Hopefully it will work out for you, sometimes they just drag their feet on the reports.
(deactivated member)
on 2/4/08 10:22 am - NC
The only reason I didn't say anything about AA is because I didn't go until after my psych eval.  I didn't know before I went to the psych that I wasn't going to be able to drink.  I'm okay with that.  So. I'll let you know when I hear. Thanks Gretch
marieh
on 2/4/08 7:56 pm - So. Easton, MA
I had been sober and nicotine free for about 21 yrs. at the time of my psych test. I was honest and told them that since I'd quit, the drinking and smoking evolved into a food addiction, and that's why I was in need of sugery. A contingent for me to be approved was to CONTINUE with weekly visits to my shrink. He's helped me a lot and I have no plans to stop.  Sometimes the tests take ridiculously long to come back. In my case, it took 3 weeks. For some, it takes longer. It depends on teh office processing it, and who's on vacation, who's out sick etc.....Keep asking where the results are. The faster your insurance company gets the results, the faster you'll have an answer. Don't worry...I doubt it's going to get you a denial. Marie

Telbereth
on 2/5/08 2:27 am - SW , MO

What if you don't have multiple years clean?  What is the minimum time they'd allow?

Beginning My Real Life

A Work in Progress

Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views