my addictions

annrenee2
on 1/28/08 11:22 pm, edited 1/29/08 6:16 am - Knoxville, TN
I have a question,  even though I dont get a high from the morphine and my body is dependent on it isnt that the same as addiction its not by choice its because my body now reacts to it because when it doesnt get it   my body reacts to it? is this still addiction?   There is all kinds of addiction right? My name is Annrenee, I have had many many illness's since I was very young, I have fibromyalgia Chronic Fatique, Chronic Pain just to name 3 of them, I had RNY last April, the day be for I turned 42,  I have been on many different pain meds and anxity meds,  I AM ADDICTED to MORPHINE, CLONZAPAM, I am trying to ween off the morphine now,  ITS HARD!!!!!! Scarey.  I started smoking again so you can say I am addicted to Nicatine and the other crap in the cigs, I am addicted to caffine and most of all I am addicted to food, Well the surgery has helped in the food area, But I am left with the other,  I have never done street drugs nor do I attend to. How do YOU deal with addictions, ?  My husband is very disapointed in me starting smoking again! I deal with depression on a daily basis.  He has never had any addiction problems and he dosent understand them,  I do see a phyc and a therapist. I still just dont know how to deal with all this.  Any help you all can give would be great, Thankyou for allowing me to say out loud that I have addictions. Annrenee

marieh
on 1/29/08 3:19 am - So. Easton, MA
Hi Annrenee!  Welcome!   For me, I use this board to keep me grounded, on occasion I'll go to AA meetings when I feel I need them, and (with my psych's help) once I figure out WHY I do and overdo things like spending, shopping, baking, etc....I stop cold turkey. (cept for the shopping...taht's something we're wroking on).  You might want to try mentioning this to your medical team. In the interim, try checking out  www.na.org for narcotics anonymous, and the principles in www.aa.org/bigbookonline will help too. Maybe the best thing I can offer is that you are NOT ALONE.  How do I deal with my addictions? I get help! You're on the right track! Marie

annrenee2
on 1/29/08 5:22 am - Knoxville, TN
Marie, Thank you,   I saw my therapist today,  I am working on weening off the morphine now and with the help of my dr.s and other support I will get through this.  Thank you for the links. Annrenee

RHONDA FROM KY
on 1/29/08 3:55 am - ALEXANDRIA, KY

I would have to say by taking baby steps.. one battle at a time.. and perhaps conquering one may conquer multiple.   Make a call to the phyc.. therapist.. tell them the truth as you state here.. and go from there.. one step at a time.. so that it doesn't look so big.. overwhelming and unable to conquer.   You can accomplish anything..  Thanks for sharing and hope you keep coming back here

annrenee2
on 1/29/08 5:29 am - Knoxville, TN
Thank you for your reply,  I did see my therapist today, and again with the help of my dr.s and you all I will get through this.  thankyou again.  baby steps is what i am learning Annrenee

(deactivated member)
on 1/29/08 5:39 am - NC
Annrenee, Just remember one thing.  Just for today.  I know with me I have to deal with today only or it gets overwelming.  Just for today.  One day at a time is all I can do. You are not alone!
annrenee2
on 1/29/08 5:59 am - Knoxville, TN
Thank you Gretchen, That is one thing we talked about today, I seem to want all this to go away now, though I am weening off slowly I wi**** was over, and I want off it I dont like what the morphine does to me when I dont take it,   I have never been one for the feeling of being high even though i am on them for pain I dont like that it is become a habit for my body and its no longer a choice to take for the pain it is a must to take because my body cant do with out it. same with smoking  the smoking and t he caffine or to replace what I am not getting by not as much morphine does that make sence. Annrenee

Patricia R.
on 1/29/08 5:21 am - Perry, MI

Hi Annrenee, Welcome to the Addictions forum.  I deal with my addictions by participating in Alcoholics Anonymous and working the 12 steps.  The social support, and the principles of the steps have helped.  I also see a therapist and a psychiatrist.  I also am reading a terrific book called "The Anatomy of a Food Addiction."  It has helped me gain some clarity in not blaming myself.  It might also help if your husband read it.  Your husband might want to attend some Alanon meetings for help in understanding you. 

Be totally honest with your therapist and psychiatrist about the addictions, especially the drugs.  They can help you detox from them. 

Keep posting and let us know how you make out.

Hugs,

Trish

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

annrenee2
on 1/29/08 5:34 am - Knoxville, TN
Thanks Trish,  I am very honest with them and that is why I had asked to ween of the morphine, This is the only drug that has never gaven me the high feeling I hate that feeling that is why they put me on it years ago, but now my body is dependent on it not only for the pain but if I dont take it I get with drawls I dont like this so I am weening off I have been told its gonna be a slow process but I am working on it.  I saw my therapist today, and I will look ffor that book to read can you give me the authers name..  thank you again for your reply. Annrenee

Patricia R.
on 1/29/08 5:44 am - Perry, MI
Good for you for being honest with your therapist and docs.  That's a great first step.  Coming here is another great step.   The name of the book is "Anatomy of a Food Addiction" by Anne Katherine, M.A.  I have heard it is available used on Amazon.  Check it out.  Keep coming back.  We need you, and you need us.  Together we can do what we could not do alone. Hugs, Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views