new here

cnunes54
on 1/18/08 1:54 am - Edison, NJ
This is my first time posting on here and my first time really, honestly admitting this.  So here it goes. I had my RNY 9/06 and before I had it I had a drinking problem.  But having the surgery "forced"(so I thought) me to stop drinking.  But that only lasted a few months.  As soon as I was eating regular foods, my drinking started again.  Slowly it crept back into my life and now it's smacking me in the face!  Especially since now I have a few drinks, like 4 or 5, and I'm completely off my chair.  Where as before, it took 10 or 12.  I just feel like there are certain days where I do not want to deal with the situations at hand.  And those are the days I drink. I just got into trouble, yet again, because of it.  I'm only 23 and I feel like if I dont do something NOW, I'm really gonna destroy my life.  I would really like someone to talk t about this. Anyone experiencing a similar situation? Can anyone sort-of point me in the "right" direction as to the steps I need to take to get some help? Crystal N. 358/335/201
pokeybooth
on 1/18/08 3:15 am - bossier city, LA

Crystal, I have not taken up the drink since surgery but I am a alcholic with 4 1/2 years of sobriety. I tried everything under the sun to get sober and they all failed until I was sent to A.A. I found my place in life there. You admitting that you have a problem is a big step in recovery. At 23 I couldn't admit my fault in any situation(how vain i was). Fortunatly, my 2nd. outpatient rehab forced me to attend A.A. Once I started to work the program I realized that not admitting my many faults keep me drunk for many years.

Today I have a life that is simply wonderful. I have the ability to face the problems that I used to get drunk over. I know if I take a drink today I will be right back where I was 4 1/2 years ago. This disease progresses even when we are not drinking.                                                                                     

I really hope you can find what works for you because I have been there and I know what you are going through. If I can help in any way feel free to pm me. I will be leaving tonight and will not be bac****il Sunday..       GOOD LUCK AND GOD BLESS

marieh
on 1/18/08 6:51 am - So. Easton, MA
Crystal, Welcome to the board!! If you've admitted your addiction to yourself, you've taken a HUGE step in the right direction, just like pookey stated earlier. I've been sober going on my 22nd year now and AA was ALWAYS there for me when I needed it. Try a meeting in your area. www.aa.org . I have a link in my favorites for meetings in the Boston area sow when I need the lifeline, that life preserver, the list is at my fingertips!  When you find the right meeting, it becomes your family! Hang in there! You CAN do this! Marie

matt
on 1/19/08 11:37 am - fairfield, CA
I am older then you but in a simular situation. I drank before rny and still do.Maybe you shuold talk to your doctor about meds that curb your drive to drink. I have thought of this and planning to look in to it good luck.
Patricia R.
on 1/20/08 9:41 am - Perry, MI
I recommend that you check out AA and get to a few meetings.  See if you can relate to the feelings that people talk about, not the drinking behaviors, though you may relate to that as well.  Look at the 12 steps and really think about the first step.  Write about your drinking history and share it with someone in AA that can relate to it without judging you.   Hugs, Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views