when does it happen

Scottish Lass
on 1/14/08 8:05 am - Scotland, UK
I drink too much. I have been in therapy for a few months now BUT I am still drinking and if I am totally honest i want to drink socially. can it be achieved, is there anyone out there who has achieved this? Is this another curse of not being able to control our needs/desireses, have i failed once again?????????????????
Patricia R.
on 1/14/08 9:50 am - Perry, MI
Some people are able to drink socially, others are not.  If you are a truly addicted alcoholic it is unlikely you will be able to drink socially for very long.  Alcoholism is believed to be a disease, both physical and mental.  Physical addictions do not just go away, but can be arrested if not fed.  Therefore, total abstinence from the drug or alcohol prevents the disease from continuing its destruction. Have you tried attending Alcoholics Anonymous?  I would not be sober if I did not attend.   Good luck. Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

RHONDA FROM KY
on 1/14/08 10:01 am - ALEXANDRIA, KY
you are not a failure.. you suffer along with LORD ONLY KNOWS HOW MANY OTHERS from a disease.  Would you call a person suffering with cancer.. or diabetes.. or mental illness a failure certainly not!!  But.. you don't have to continue to live this way.. there is hope.. and promises that can be filled.  Have you been to any AA meetings..  ??  You are normal to want to be normal and drink socially.. but if you suffer from alcoholizm.. you know that "normal drinking" is not within us.  The disease progressed.. and it's caused problems.. and drama.. and chaos in our lives.   If you have not learned THAT.. it's the first step..   .."  We admitted we were powerless over alcohol - that our lives had become unmanageable. " It's wonderful that you are in therapy.. and you are still young into it.. I did hear once a man tell someone tho.. that the program works much better if you don't drink   Just keep going with the therapy.. and meetings (if you attend) and please keep coming back here.  We really need YOU
marieh
on 1/14/08 7:22 pm - So. Easton, MA
No one can make you feel inferior unless you let them, hon. You're NOT a failure.  What makes you feel you drink too much? I definitely have this disease. By the grace of G-d, I've been clean and sober going on 22 years now.   Talk to your therapist about how you feel about drinking, and how often/much you drink now.  Check out an AA meeting in your area. It can't hurt! :) Marie

Michelle W.
on 1/14/08 11:51 pm - Olmsted Falls, OH
 Some would say, until you repair the reasons why you drink too much, you are doomed to fail to have control.It seems as if it is a coping device for you, as food most likely was before surgery.It is called Addiction transferring.You may be using alcohol to numb some feelings and for coping.  Of course, you want to still drink.I think we all wish we were able to control the beast within, but  in all honesty, chances are you will have to face up to the fact that alcohol is not something that you have control over.We live in denial, and we try to convince ourselves we can handle it.Most of us will never be able to drink socially after we have discovered it to be a nuisance and another addiction.  Why do you still want to drink? Maybe you can go to AA's website, and answer a simple questionnare that asks, "Am I an Alcohoic?" It will be a start.Stay in therapy and good luck.
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views