Long-Time Lurker, First-Time Poster - Topamax

meloh
on 1/14/08 3:52 am - MN

I've been dealing with alcohol issues for about a year now. I never had a problem with it before surgery. I have been working with a therapist for about 8 months now which has really helped me.

I’ve been had a lot of problems with migraines for the past few years that have been getting worse and worse, so my doctor put be on Topamax, which is a daily preventative medication. I did some research online and found that one of the side effects can be that it helps with alcohol cravings. I’ve been on this for 6 weeks now. I have not had a craving for alcohol in about 3 weeks. (I also have not had a migraine in this time).

I’m not saying this is a miracle drug or anything, I just thought it was interesting how it’s working. Maybe it won’t last, but I’m enjoying it for now.

Melanie

marieh
on 1/14/08 4:37 am - So. Easton, MA
Hi Melanie! Welcome and nice to 'meet' you! I've seen some commercials recently for new meds that treat one thing but are advertised that they help with alcohol cravings. Where was this thing 22 years ago? :) I'm glad you've found something that works for BOTH issues! My husband suffers from chronic "cluster" migraines. I'll have to tell him about this medicine to see if this might work for him too!  Thanks for the info and keep posting! Marie

meloh
on 1/23/08 10:31 pm - MN
Thank you for the welcome! It's still working great for me. The first couple of weeks the Topamax makes you feel kind of crappy while your body gets used to it, but then it's fine. It such a relief not to have the headaches. If it works for your husband, that would be great! Melanie
Patricia R.
on 1/14/08 10:41 pm - Perry, MI
Hi Melanie, Thanks for posting.  There are a lot of medications available that help with cravings.  They are really helpful for people in early recovery.  What is also needed is a long term plan.  I have found AA to be useful in maintaining my long term recovery.  Have you been to any meetings?  I highly recommend them. Hugs, Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Telbereth
on 1/22/08 4:25 am - SW , MO

At one time I had tried this for the weight loss side effect.  After reading your post I think I'll ask my Doc to renew the script.

Beginning My Real Life

A Work in Progress

meloh
on 1/23/08 10:28 pm - MN

I have heard that it can help with weight loss for some people too. I actually have lost a little weight since being on Topamax, but I was attributing it to not drinking - maybe it's a little of both! Melanie

shellypoe
on 2/18/08 8:18 am - virginia beach, VA
i have been taking topamax for 10 months now and i was 4 years post op and stuck at 182 went on topamax and im now 125. it is my miricle pill. i maxed out on225mgs and now im down to 75 mgs and feel great and im still not craving food. i love it!!!!

shelly- wife to mike....2-14-1986                        
mom to- logan...2-8-96
mom to- jensen...6-10-05

BEFORE @258                              AFTER @140
ShellyBefore258-1.png picture by careipowellShellyAfter140-1.png picture by careipowell  

Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views