Feeling worse now than pre surgery

bl750
on 12/18/07 10:08 am - Lehighton, PA

This may sound strange but I am feeling worse (mentally) 12 months post op ( minus 220 lbs)  I am surely an alcoholic and have wasted most of my life...I'm not sure where to turn....I think I am feeling so down because I guess I assumed lose the weight and everything will be fine but thart is not the case....This is a real downer for me and I'm not sure how to go forward right now....

marieh
on 12/18/07 10:20 am - So. Easton, MA
If you don't already go to meetings, find one nearby...if you don't have a sponsor, you sound like you need one. Let AA be your lifeline. It CAN help you save your life if you work the program. But you have to start.  You've done an amazing thing for yourself by losing 220 pounds in one year! That so rocks!!  I do know what you mean about the weight loss. It's wrong of all of us to think this is a magic wand and our lives will miraculously be complete and fulfilling once we lose the weight. It's a tool...just like AA. It doesn't nothing by itself, but when WE work the program, or follow docs orders, THEN we see results.  It took me lots of soul searching to get clean and sober, but it's one of THE best things I've ever done. (for me and those who love me) Take care, and keep posting here!! :)  I don't remember seeing your posts before, so welcome! Marie

bl750
on 12/20/07 7:25 am - Lehighton, PA
Hello Marie thank you so much for your input...I will definatley take your advice under consideration....Take Care Bob (Lehighton PA)
RHONDA FROM KY
on 12/18/07 9:13 pm - ALEXANDRIA, KY
Not strange.. the WLS was surgery to help you lose weight (physical) the mental part needs still to be fixed.  My sickness got worse about a year out from surgery too.  I drank more and more.. I finally went to AA and stopped with support from GOD and AA on 11/18/06.  I still have good days and bad days.. but that is just life.  BUT I am more peaceful and serene than I was when I was in my heavy drinking days.   Keep coming back and welcome to the board. 
bl750
on 12/20/07 7:27 am - Lehighton, PA
Thank you Rhonda for your response....I appreciate your words, I have been on the PA board for awhile now and actually just discovered recently the "Other Forums" take care Bob..Lehighton PA
Michelle W.
on 12/19/07 10:45 pm - Olmsted Falls, OH
You have to work through what food and alcohol were comforting you for.It isn't easy, but I know my pain in life was lessened because substances filled the voids I had.I am 34 and still working on new and better ways to cope with life.Letting go of resentment is a major part of healing.If you cannot get over things that caused you pain, you can't heal, and move on happily.A support network will help you with this, use it.
bl750
on 12/22/07 10:43 am - Lehighton, PA
Hello Hairgirl....Thanks for your response...Take care Bob Lehighton PA
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety