OA Program and overeating.

Christine W.
on 12/17/07 3:31 am - WI
So yeah, I am a recovering alcoholic...And frankly, I am worried about a possible food addiction at this point too. It seems like when I quit smoking, the eating got even worse...But you know, I've been to OA, and although I love AA, I'm not sure OA is the best answer for me. I'm not sure what to think about using the Program for my weight. The psych doctor cautioned me regarding saying that I am powerless over food, because he thinks that could set me up for failure...Primarily because I know that I am powerless over alcohol, so I just don't drink--not ever. But I tend to think in very concrete terms about addiction, and thus for me to say, I'm poweless over food seems...I don't know. Like I then lose any (albeit probably minute) ability I have to control or moderate my intake. Of course, those of us in the program know that oftentimes admitting failure is the only way to succeed... I posted about my fears on the Main Board too. Fears that I won't be able to eat in a healthy manner after surgery. I eat when I'm bored a lot of times--what's going to stop me from doing that post-op, you know? I mean, I can make all kinds of promises to myself about how I'm not going to eat poorly, but that doesn't mean I won't do it anyway. Because frankly, there have been a lot of times I went to bed thinking, "I'll start a diet tomorrow." And I got up, ate unhealthily, and that was the end of it. So I have a major fear of failing at WLS... Any thoughts?

225/149/135
5'6 1/2"
Starting weight/Current Weight/Goal

Patricia R.
on 12/17/07 3:09 pm - Perry, MI

I understand your concerns.  I once heard a saying comparing alcoholism to overeating.  An alcoholic can lock the tiger up and throw away the key.  An overeater has to walk the tiger three times a day and not get hurt. The concept of powerlessness has to do with our utter dependence on God for the solution to whatever our addiction is.  Therefore, powerlessness is not giving me license to overeat, but a reason to cry out to God every time I am tempted to act on any of my addictions.   A great book to read is called "The Anatomy of a Food Addiction."  I can't remember the author's name right now.  She explains the brain of an addict/alcoholic, regardless of the substance or behavior. I hope this makes sense. Trish

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views