Questions about YOU

Michelle W.
on 12/14/07 2:33 am - Olmsted Falls, OH
 I came up with some Questions to play "get to know you". If interested, please respond, and Thanks. Feel Free to add a question at the bottom if you'd like. 1. Do you see addiction as a disease? Why? 2. Have you ever had any other addictions that caused problems in your life? 3. Do you have a disfunctional family? 4. Do you have someone you admire who is sober? Why? 5. Would you stop abusing drugs forever if someone gave you enough money to live happy the rest of your life, only if you quit? 6. Do you think you are capable of helping someone else who is struggling with addiction? 7. What do you or did you enjoy about abusing drugs? 8. What did you hate about abusing drugs? 9. Do you think you will ever find peace in your life? 10. Do you have faith in a God of your understanding? Why or why not?
PittsburghCutie
on 12/14/07 4:50 am - Pittsburgh, PA
Post Date: 12/14/07 10:33 am
I came up with some Questions to play "get to know you". If interested, please respond, and Thanks. Feel Free to add a question at the bottom if you'd like.

1. Do you see addiction as a disease? Why?
Obviously I have an addiction/disease. It has been pounded into my head at AA that this is a disease. I don't fully believe that, I belive I have addiction problems that I need to deal with.

2. Have you ever had any other addictions that caused problems in your life?
Aside, from food, NO.
3. Do you have a disfunctional family?
Disfunctional? My mother died when I was 13, my sister went nuts, took it out on me in beatings and demeanings on my size, DAILY! My father flew off the hook, and since my mothes death in 1997, he has been married 3 times. He will never be the same, he keeps bouncing from woman to woman, but I'm old enough now to know what happiness means and getting laid means.
4. Do you have someone you admire who is sober? Why?
HA! The only person I admire for being sober is Rhonda. She is here from OH, and she has helped me tremendously. More than words can explain. Her and Daniel are permanent names in our house. My husband knows exactly who I am talking about when I say...."I wish Rhonda and Daniel lived closer."
5. Would you stop abusing drugs forever if someone gave you enough money to live happy the rest of your life, only if you quit? HAHAHAHA.....Do you understand I can not control this?? I have damage to my organs due to alcohol that are irreversable and I continue to do stupid **** No amount of money could help me. I'm being brutally honest.
6. Do you think you are capable of helping someone else who is struggling with addiction?
I hope so. I've been sober, I fell off the wagon, and now here I am again....being sober. So who knows. Right now I don't feel mentally stable enough to help others, but I know I could if need be.
7. What do you or did you enjoy about abusing drugs? Drugs or alcohol? Alcohol I didn't think was a big deal. Drugs on the other hand....any RX xanax, ativan, demerol, vicodin, hell....even tylenol pm. I can't help it.
8. What did you hate about abusing drugs? I never abused drugs, I always followed prescriptions and dr's orders. Except for pain meds, double, triple up on those. They are wonderful. I hate them because I switch one addiction from the other....food, alcohol, rx meds...it's an ongoing battle.
9. Do you think you will ever find peace in your life?
Peace? Absolutely. I will not let my mind ruin my life. My life plan is to have a family with atleast 2 children. That's all I ask out of life.
10. Do you have faith in a God of your understanding? Why or why not?
Absolutely. I fully believe in God, and my higher power. Notice they are 2 different things.

Ugh, thanks fo rmaking me rack my brain!

Liz
Go Steelers!!
October, 1st, 2004-LapRNY
298/157/140'ish
RHONDA FROM KY
on 12/14/07 10:19 pm - ALEXANDRIA, KY
.."4. Do you have someone you admire who is sober? Why? HA! The only person I admire for being sober is Rhonda. She is here from OH, and she has helped me tremendously. More than words can explain. Her and Daniel are permanent names in our house. My husband knows exactly who I am talking about when I say...."I wish Rhonda and Daniel lived closer."  " thanks for allowing me to cry HAPPY TEARS.. I wish we lived closer too.. PS.. on your #9.. all I wanted before was to be married.. have kids and live happily ever after.  I got married.. got divorced.. no kids.. eventually had my tubes tied.. and now living happily in sin.  My life plan was not God's life plan for me.  I will be happy with the plan he has for me.  If I'm so disappointed that my plans didn't become fulfilled.. I will be miserable in my remaining life, and that's no way to live!!  Besides.. his plan is most probably better for me..  I may not understand why.. but trust that he knows why.  LOVE YOU SWEET TITS
marieh
on 12/14/07 7:05 am - So. Easton, MA
1. Do you see addiction as a disease? Why?  No...I see addiction as a control problem. I see alcoholism as a CHOICE. For every second that drink was in my hands, I DIDN'T CHOOSE to not drink it. My Diabetes as a disease. I didn't ask for that, but it' happened. There's a big difference. 2. Have you ever had any other addictions that caused problems in your life?  Hell yeah! Food, shopping, shoes, collecting cookbooks, you name it. I have an addictive, obsessive/compulsive personality. I can be addicted to ANYTHING. 3. Do you have a disfunctional family?  So much so, that we put the FUN in it! 4. Do you have someone you admire who is sober? Why?  Myself.  I've been sober 21 years. It ain't easy. But I live one day (and sometimes) one minute at a time. Sometimes I'm one second away from making the worst decision of my life.  It's a fight, and some days are easier than others. 5. Would you stop abusing drugs forever if someone gave you enough money to live happy the rest of your life, only if you quit?  No. Money doesn't buy happiness OR sobriety. You have to give yourself that! 6. Do you think you are capable of helping someone else who is struggling with addiction?  Yes. I have in the past. Not sure I can do it for a living though...I thought about that. But if someone says they have a problem w/booze and wants my help to stop, I'm there. 7. What do you or did you enjoy about abusing drugs?  The numbness, the sleep it gives you, and the "Life is Good" attitude. 8. What did you hate about abusing drugs?  The damage it caused to my internal organs, the future damage those f*cked up blood sugars caused to my eyes, kidneys and heart, the bloated, pasty skin and putting loved ones and total strangers in danger. 9. Do you think you will ever find peace in your life?  Yes. Without a doubt. I have.  10. Do you have faith in a God of your understanding? Why or why not? Yes. So much so that I changed religions for one that gave me the comfort I searched for...And I did this all while sober, older, and wiser.

Patricia R.
on 12/14/07 7:57 pm - Perry, MI
1. Do you see addiction as a disease? Why?  Yes, I believe it is a disease.  The DSM-IV-TR identifies alcoholism and addictions as disorders of the mind and body.   2. Have you ever had any other addictions that caused problems in your life?  I have food, sex, and codependency, shopping too. 3. Do you have a disfunctional family? Not anymore.  I grew up with an alcoholic father and bipolar mother.  My older brother developed schizophrenia when I was 11 years old.  Dad has passed away, and mom and brother are much better since way back when.   4. Do you have someone you admire who is sober? Why?  Probably myself.  I have been to Hell and back and have managed to stay sober regardless. 5. Would you stop abusing drugs forever if someone gave you enough money to live happy the rest of your life, only if you quit?  I have stopped without that incentive, but the money sure would be nice.  6. Do you think you are capable of helping someone else who is struggling with addiction?  Yes, I believe I have helped others already. 7. What do you or did you enjoy about abusing drugs?  Escaping feeling the feelings that life on life's terms means. 8. What did you hate about abusing drugs?  How it ruined my family life, and my mind's ability to deal with reality. 9. Do you think you will ever find peace in your life?  Yes, I believe that peace is possible with my faith. 10. Do you have faith in a God of your understanding? Why or why not? Yes, God for me is Jesus Christ.  I have a deep faith in Him and I have experienced miracles in my life, the first being sobriety. Hugs, Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

RHONDA FROM KY
on 12/14/07 10:59 pm - ALEXANDRIA, KY
1. Do you see addiction as a disease?  YES.. altho it's difficult to imagine it as such  Why?   IMO.. addiction is similar to the disease of mental disorder.. it's due to chemical inbalance and environmental and hereditary conditions.   If the Medical Society considers mental disorders a disease then addiction is also.  It's a condition that effects a person negatively.. and they have no control over (if left untreated).  It's progressive.. and deadly.   2. Have you ever had any other addictions that caused problems in your life?  I have experimented with nicotine.. speed and pot.  I didn't suffer ill effects from them accept to my health.. nicotine was the hardest to give up.  I just quit speed and pot on my own.. didn't care for the paranoia of pot  and speed I loved cuz it helped with weight control but couldn't find any good ones after the 80's LOL.. and FOOD.. and ALCOHOL. (which probably cuzed me to be too permiscuous..  ) 3. Do you have a disfunctional family?  Immediate family.. nope, just me.  lol.. well except I think my sister can be a little biatchy at times..   Mom/dad.. worked and did not drink.. mom smoked ciggs and quit.  My sister is not an addict altho is pretty heavy in her older age so her addiction is now food I guess.  My mom's brothers (unlces) were addicted to alcohol and some have died from the disease.  So my mom understands what road it can take one too.  I asked my mom once.. when Dan and I started AA if any of her brothers went to AA and she said no.. not to her knowledge.  She understands quite a bit.. but still doesn't fully get the YOU HAVE TO WANT IT FOR YOURSELF.. and HIGHER POWER...  She sometimes thinks you should be able to just not drink (self choice) and it's not a self choice.. all miserable alcoholics would rather not to have this disease... it takes more than self. 4. Do you have someone you admire who is sober? Yes.. but it is everyone who struggles with this disease.. not one person, but the group.  I admire the person who has one day just as much as the person who has 20 years..  I admire each person I see at the meetings.. I admire those that tell their story(I want to cry for each one.. and smile at the end when they tell where they are now)... I have compassion for those I see in the park across from where I work that are still living with their disease.. a man gave his story last week and said he lived in THAT park for many months.  And he so appreciates when people of AA will shake his hand.. like they are not better than him.  He can escape that feeling of being beneath people.    5. Would you stop abusing drugs forever if someone gave you enough money to live happy the rest of your life, only if you quit?  No.. money is not my Higher Power.  It's more than that, as it is with each of us. 6. Do you think you are capable of helping someone else who is struggling with addiction?  Yes.. I know I am capable.. hopefully just by my actions I can have some influence.. not a cure, but an influence.   Also because I ask my God to work thru me to help others and to do his will. 7. What do you or did you enjoy about abusing drugs?  See #2.. I was always scared to experiment with much.. cuz I was afraid that I would become addicted.  But I thought alcohol was just something everyone (my age) did.. we just partied.. it was okay.  And it is.. until our lives become unmanageable and effects others and then we must quit so we can have serenity. 8. What did you hate about abusing drugs?  Pot. the paranoia.. alcohol.. the consequences of jail.. prisoner within my own home.  Possibility of losing it all.. health, social and spiritual.  Nicotine.. the smell.. lol.. it stinks. 9. Do you think you will ever find peace in your life?  Yes.. I have peace now.. and it will continue to grow as I nurture it. 10. Do you have faith in a God of your understanding? Why or why not?  YES.. I have always had faith.. I've let go of it at times and ignored him.. but thank goodness GOD never ignored me and even carried me at times.   Just like the FOOTPRINTS saying goes.. Thanks for posting these questions.. I love getting to know each of you better!! And it's a growing experience.  Hugs with LOVE, Rhonda
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views