Oprah.. today.

RHONDA FROM KY
on 12/7/07 5:04 am - ALEXANDRIA, KY
is about WLS.. and alcohol.  Just incase someone would like to watch. I think it's a repeat tho..
ColoradoHusker
on 12/10/07 1:04 am - Colorado Springs, CO
Hi Rhonda -  I taped this Oprah show and am keeping it to remind me of cross-addiction. I have been very surprised at the reaction to this show on other boards here on OH.  I'm surprised at the number of people who don't necessarily see their weight issue as a addiction problem.  Yes I love food and I love to eat it even more...but I also know that I often times eat to deal with problems and feelings.  I eat when I'm happy, I eat when I'm sad, I eat to celebrate, I eat to mourn. Even at a young age I was lucky to have a healthy voice in me to stay away from alcohol and drugs.  With drinking, I knew if I found something I really liked - I wouldn't think twice to have it for breakfast. (Plus I have hangovers from hell!)  With drugs, I knew that if there was a chance of getting hooked from trying anything once it would be me. So why even go there?   When I decided to have surgery, I knew I had to have a team of professionals to help me.  I'm self-pay so I didn't have to have a psych eval, but I went ahead and found therapist who has a lot of experience with WLS.  We're working on identifying what got me to 400+ pounds - some of it is childhood experiences, some of it is adult experiences, a lot of it is my own stubborness and ego saying, "I want what I want and I want it NOW!" I'm not sure why I've chosen this venue to voice my opinions but thanks for listening.  I'm surprised there's not more people using this board to talk about food addiction. Thanks, Jana
RHONDA FROM KY
on 12/10/07 2:37 am - ALEXANDRIA, KY
Hi Jana.. and welcome to the board.   Feel free to post and interact as much as you want.  It sounds like the .. "I want what I want and I want it NOW.. " is the same character trait that many people who deal with alcoholism has.. self-centeredism *me..me..me*..  You were wise to stay away from the alcohol and drugs.. I was kinda that way.. didn't do many drugs as fear of the addiction and didn't want to temp myself.  Drinking..  was another story!   I'm kinda not surprised by some reactions of people.. that they think their eating disorder is not as "beneath them" as someone who has an alcohol (or other) disorder..  that is why I'm grateful for my disease.  It allows me to have more empathy for people who suffer from all disorders.. or should we call it what it is.. Addictions.   Also.. I did have the surgery.. and lost the weight.. and maintaining fairly well.. but it is harder than sin.  I know if/when I have fattening food in the house.. I can eat it all within minutes.  Thank goodness my SO also had WLS and I have no kids.  My trouble is when I'm here at work.. when it's around I will still eat.  So.. I've not fixed my addictions problem.. I seem to just switch it around from things to things..  Right now I'm pooring my attention into thriftstore buying and selling on Ebay.  I love doing it.. but can see that I just switched addictions..  I know Dr. Phil said you have to trade one habit for another.. and so I have.  I hope this one remains a little healthier tho.. altho with all the "stuff" I have in my house.. I can see where it can "get out of hand" and I need to curb it. have a good day, Rhonda
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views