WLS and AA Support

Dorothy F.
on 12/6/07 7:57 pm, edited 4/7/08 6:37 am - Alexandria, VA

Michelle W.
on 12/6/07 10:39 pm - Olmsted Falls, OH
Alcoholics Anonymous is a good start.It never surprises me that so many of us just move on to another substance to fill the void in our life.You should seek out a therapist who has dealt with this type of situation, and stay in touch with your peers here, we understand. You are doing the right thing, there is no substance great enough to numb out what got us here.You just have to find out a positive way to live, and be willing to do whatever it takes to not practice addictive behaviors.Addiction is a disease, it takes all forms.
CarolAR
on 12/10/07 4:14 am - Dane, WI
Hi Dorothy, You are making a great first step by acknowledging the impact drinking is having on your life.  The main thing you need to do is realize you can't do it yourself.  I "tried" to do it myself for 6 months or so,  going to AA, limiting my daily intake, but it was all just lip service.  I was drinking at work, drinking and driving, hiding it from my family.  Finally I just reached my bottom, and went to a short term detox at my local hosp.  Letting go and realizing I needed help and couldn't do this myself was the biggest relief!!  I found the care of a great addiction doctor and some great outpatient therapy and am proud to say i am approaching 90 days of sobriety!!!  It is a hard step to take but trading in all that misery I was heaping on myself for the clarity I am feeling now is beyond words.  If I can do it, you can too! Carol 
Telbereth
on 12/19/07 4:24 am, edited 12/19/07 4:24 am - SW , MO
If you don't mind, what was involved in the short-term detox (how long?, day only?, etc.)? Thanks!
Beginning My Real Life

A Work in Progress

Patricia R.
on 12/11/07 2:57 pm - Perry, MI
Hi Dorothy, AA is a great place to get a lot of support and a program that works for many people.  I would also suggest therapy, as there is a root to most addictions and that is shame.  Whatever drove you to the food originally is now driving you to drink.  A good therapist can help you unlock that shame and take away a lot of its strength.  That is what I have learned in my years on the couch.  I have been sober for over 6 years in AA, and have been through a divorce, my son's heroin addiction, graduate school, and the death of my brother since my last drink, not to mention my gastric bypass surgery.   Feel free to e-mail me if you would like more info. Hugs, Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views