Recovering alcoholic and REY...

Christine W.
on 12/4/07 1:39 am - WI
Hi all... So I'm scared. I got the approval for REY a couple of days ago, and already have a date set--January 28th. For all you recovering drunks/addicts out there, I would appreciate any words of wisdom. Will I feel like drinking after the surgery? Where does WLS fit in your recovery? Any regrets? I utilize a 12 Step program, so am hoping that I will continue to receive a lot of support there... Any experience, strength, hope, or commiseration apprerciated! Christine
RHONDA FROM KY
on 12/4/07 2:20 am, edited 12/4/07 2:21 am - ALEXANDRIA, KY
first... welcome to the board Christineand congratulations on your date!! whoo hooo!!! second.. I know for myself.. I was a drunk before WLS.  I drank.. I had fun.. I had blackouts.. I passed out on the toilet then too.. LOL.  I had years of in and out of sobriety. Not that I thought I had a problem.. just would get tired of the drinking and partying and quit sometimes on my own.    after WLS.. I lost weight.. felt great.. thought I looked great and wanted to share my new look with others and have fun again.. so off to the bars I went.  That's when I learned that my already disease progressed.. and I think/believe WLS helped that.. the alcohol got into my blood stream much much faster.. I could be drunk on one/two drinks (I like them strong.. lol) and black out after two hours.. passed out (most often on a toilet again) in 4 hours.  Experienced 1 dui.. court fees.. house arrest.. bail.. drunk class fees.. blowie thing on car fees/embarrassment..  and still didn't stop.. realized then tho.. that I "might" have a problem.   it took another WLS man to come into my life.. who's disease is more progressed than my own for me to get the help that I need.   in AA now.. been sober 1 year 11/18/07.. but I still have the brakes on with step 4.. oh what an order.. I've not gone thru with it.  Not sure what's stopping me except my own selfwill..  I have to get off the pot and do it.. but anyways.. that's it for me. best wishes to you.. keep getting the support you need and working the 12 step program!! hugsss, Rhonda
marieh
on 12/5/07 11:51 am - So. Easton, MA

ONE YEAR!!!  Congratulations girl!  Be PROUD of yourself! You've gone through hell and come out on the other side!! :) Hugs,

Marie

marieh
on 12/5/07 12:00 pm - So. Easton, MA

Hi Christine,

You share my daughters name..a.,nd she is in nursing school as we speak!  Nice to meet you!

Ok, I'm your basic "in-yer-face" kind of blunt person..so here goes....if you feel like drinking NOW, you'll feel like it after your revision too. The surgery has nothing to do with (or to stop) your addictions. Since you're in a 12 step, you know that only YOU can make it work .... :)  When I finally admitted I had a major problem, I asked myself how bad I wanted sobriety. I wanted it bad..I was finally ready for it down there in the botton of the bottle. So...how bad do you want to stay clean and/or sober?  It's scary, I wont' deny that, but this board has been my lifesaver! :) If you need to vent, feel free to email me at any time.  Marie

Loril
on 12/6/07 2:34 am - Hopkins, MN
Hi Christine, welcome.  My story is a bit different as I did not drink post op.  I guess food was such an effective tool for me (yes I abused it, which makes me see the addict in me now) and I never drank.  Now I am a binge drinker, working daily on myself to figure this out..  So I guess in hindsight I was a binge eater, but I didnt see it that way....until now, it's very clear.   Congrats on your upcoming date!  Lori

Lori at Goal  

RNY October 2004

Christine W.
on 12/6/07 11:49 am - WI
Congrats to you Lori for trying to find your way out of the addictive behaviors...I know that I have become addicted to food as well...I gave up the alcohol years ago, gave up the cigarettes--and started gaining. I know that for me, there is a seriously emotional component to all of this. I've found myself worrying about what addiction I'll substitute next.  I'm scared. But, I have a lot of faith, and I hope that will help me through.  I guess I'll have to keep taking it all one day at a time.
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views