Afraid of psych evaluation because of past addiction

Jess B
on 11/27/07 10:42 am - Simpsonville, SC
I am having to fill out my survey for my psychological evaluation and I am really nervous because in Febuary of this year I had to go to rehab for oxycodone abuse. I was honest on my evaluation but I am afraid now that she will put off my surgery or deny me all together. Is there anyone here that had prior addctions and still got their WLS? I also want to add that it was my first time with drug addiction and I have not had a relapse since then.
Karen N.
on 11/27/07 11:05 am - Charlotte, NC

Hi Jess, I was honest with my surgeon and psychologist who did my evaluation about my alcohol and drug addictions. My surgeon said 'not a problem' and they psychologist said she thought my recovery meeting would actually help me from becoming cross-addicted after the surgery (no problems, so far).

You don't mention if you attend NA so the meeting might not be relative but I really don't think it will be a problem as long as you have a strong support network set up.

Best wishes and let me know how it works out.

Karen

Friend of Bill W.   "I come from a long line of plump women with bad knees"

Jess B
on 11/27/07 11:08 am - Simpsonville, SC
I didn't attend NA but I did attend the Intensive out patient support group offered by my facility and  I have a very strong network of family members for support. I personally think that what I went through with rehab made me stronger but you never know what someone else might think lol :P
Karen N.
on 11/27/07 11:13 am - Charlotte, NC

Yeah, that's true there are people out there that just don't get it but I think most psychs are educated enough to get that we are much better people post-addicted than pre-addicted!

The main thing I would suggest is to explain it just like that. Don't be afraid to state your case and let him/her know you have a 'plan' and support.

I wish you success (again!) Congrats on staying clean.

Karen

Friend of Bill W.   "I come from a long line of plump women with bad knees"

Jess B
on 11/27/07 11:15 am - Simpsonville, SC
Thank you for the help :)
pokeybooth
on 11/27/07 11:50 am - bossier city, LA
I too have addictions in my past(alcohol and meth). I was honest with the Dr. and the Pshyc and all went well.Actually I think it was a plus for me.
marieh
on 11/27/07 8:15 pm - So. Easton, MA

Hi!  I was honest with the doc about my alcohol addiction and how it morphed into an addiction to food. My requirements are that I continue with weekly therapy to discover my triggers and work wtih my counsellor. This is easy enough to manage, AND it didn't stop or delay my surgery.

Congratulations on staying clean! I've been clean and sober a long time and I know JUST how hard it is. Be honest, When you have your last pre-op with your surgeon, tell them (and again before discharge) that you don't want the liquid pain meds when you go home. (it's oxy...at least mine would've been). I, like you, don't want to put anything in my path that will risk my sobriety or being clean. I got a script for something else that I only used twice. I guess you could say I have a "healthy paranoia" about anything that could be habit forming.  You'll be fine...be honest.  Marie Good luck!!

Jess B
on 11/28/07 12:11 am - Simpsonville, SC
Thank you all for the support and encouragement.
matt
on 12/1/07 2:07 pm - fairfield, CA

You have to be careful postop after your surgery if you get it is the pain meds. liquid vicadin which I got after my surgery scared me because  it was more  than any pain killer I have ever tried . For me it was better then the morphine at the hospital so be very careful!!!

Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views