What to do ?

matt
on 11/24/07 10:22 am, edited 11/24/07 11:03 am - fairfield, CA
I know I shouldnt drink after rny. and didnt for 8 months after the rny. I drink on weekends the same as I have for the last 20 plus years but now I shouldnt because of the RNY. I went to AA and it did nothing . Someone said well you havent hit bottom yet then it will work. What if I dont want to hit bottom before I stop drinking? If I had not had RNY I would not think about stopping but i did so I am wanting to stop for medical reasons. I can not drink all week go to the gym every night after working all day at the construction site but friday I am ready for a beer. I have never had a dwi or even a ticket my whole life .When I drink I have a few beers then eat dinner and go to sleep. But I would rather not drink but I cant make it past friday every week. I am thinking of talking to my doctor for help and would like advice from people here first about medications for help with this thanks Well maybe more then a few beers berore dinner to be honest
matt
on 11/24/07 11:57 am - fairfield, CA

Hello anyone out there

Renae
on 11/24/07 7:36 pm - Sacramento, CA
Hi there... First of all, I applaud your courageousness in admitting to your problem. If you read my profile you'll see that the same thing pretty much happened to me - I go to AA, I've been in rehab, and I've hit rock bottom a couple of times. There are medications out there designed to help - one is called Antabuse which will make you physically ill if you consume alcohol. Another is a new one, that I can't remember the name of, but it's a shot that is supposed to not make you crave alcohol at all. You need to find for yourself what is right for you and what will help you. For me it was a long road in finding what that was, but now it's going to AA meetings regularly (because then you'll make friends who understand you), and (this was a new one for me) - going to church. But it helps me, and that's what counts. And also know that it's not uncommon for people who've had this surgery to switch their addictions to food to something else... so you're not alone.  Hope this helps. 
Patricia R.
on 11/24/07 9:51 pm - Perry, MI
I am so sorry you are struggling in this way.  I had been a binge drinker prior to my recovery.  When I first tried AA, I did not work the program as it is meant to be worked, and I relapsed.  AA is a program of change.  The program is in the 12 Steps.  You can work them with or without going to meetings.  Meetings help me learn how other people work the steps and stay sober.   The problem for me is that I had to learn coping skills.  I have to self-soothe and find alternative behaviors to drinking.  I exercise, deep breath, meditate, pray, and a lot of other things to help me cope with my negative emotions.  The 12 steps help me clean out the rubbish in my thinking, especially the 4th and 5th steps.   I also am in therapy to help me learn what makes me tick.  That helps me keep my scrambled thinking in check. I hope you will not give up.  There is hope. Hugs, Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

RHONDA FROM KY
on 11/25/07 3:18 am, edited 11/25/07 3:18 am - ALEXANDRIA, KY
FOR ME..  I wanted and knew I needed to quit.. but didn't really know how by myself or want to make the effort.  It took someone else (my boyfriend) getting drunk for me to realize that I no longer wanted to live the way I was.  Drinking every other day to get drunk.. and black out and pass out.  I wanted more... In helping my boyfriend in his addiction, I got and realized that I needed the help (AA) also. I in my mind know.. where the next drink can possibly take me.. so I don't (today) want a drink.. and each day I think that.  As the days go by.. I don't have to think of where the next drink may take me.. I just don't want one.  I go to meetings 2 or 3 times a week.. Hopefully this will help you.  Perhaps on fridays instead of that drink you can make an AA meeting.. that should help for that day *maybe*. best wishes.. and keep coming back here for support!! 
mypoohbear2001
on 11/25/07 11:04 am - Federal Way, WA
hello I just wanted to tell you that you are not alone.  I am 4 years post op and I like to drink also.  I dont know why.  I have been through rehab and AA and it has not helped/worked for me.  I think for me part of it is I believe I am in an unsavable marriage.  I just recently came to that conclusion.  I like how alcohol makes me feel and having a huge problem stopping.  Most of the times I don't think that I want to stop,  I guess what I am trying to tell you again is that your not alone and I totally know how you feel.  I can only go 2-3 days at the most w/o it.  I don't have any answers just sympathy for what you are going through.  I try to take my vitamins on a regular basis to counteract the alcohol.  My last labs came back as improved so health wise I am doing much better but who knows how long that will last.  Good luck to you and if you need someone to talk to just let me know
Patricia R.
on 11/25/07 12:27 pm - Perry, MI
I was in a really bad marriage when I first got sober, 18 years ago.  It was the hardest thing to do, not drink, and try to relate to a man that despised me.  I relapsed toward the end of my marriage, and got sober again after he left.  I had to go to AA, almost every day, and really dig into the program.  In Chapter 5 of the Big Book it talks about being "willing to go to any length" to get sober.  I am willing to do that today.  If you are willing to go to any length, you can get sober and stop drinking.  It is up to you.  I empathize, because it took me a very long time to finally get it together.  I now have 6 years without a drink.  Prior to my relapse, I had over 8 years.   Good Luck, Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

mypoohbear2001
on 11/25/07 1:33 pm - Federal Way, WA

trish you are an inspiration for all of us that are struggling with this.  we may have people in our lives that do not understand however thanks to people like you just knowing there are people out there that do understand is huge.  Many times I do think that it has to be much easier to not be here but I still search for people such as yourself to reach out to.  I again hope that the original poster of this message sees this and understands that there are others out there reaching.  Again thank you and God Bless

Patricia R.
on 11/25/07 10:50 pm - Perry, MI
Thank you for your kind words.  I am just a traveler who has made the decision to survive and thrive, and also found that Living Well is the best revenge. Take care of yourself.  You are worth every effort to get sober and thrive. Hugs, Trish
Albert Schweitzer

matt
on 11/26/07 10:10 am - fairfield, CA
Thanks for eveyones advise .Isnt there a drug called rebutanal or something like that that helps poeple with there cravings? I wish I could say there is a reason for my drinking but I cant blame anyone but me. I have always enjoyed the way beer makes me feel since the first time I had a beer at 14 . Now I am 41 and think it is time to stop. Thanks again
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views