food addiction?

ttruelyme
on 11/23/07 11:22 pm - kearns, UT
This is my first post here.  I have a problem and things are spinning out of control.  Since surgery I have gained thirty pounds and I am so very ashamed.  I find myself back where I was at 330 pounds and it scares me.  But it doesn't stop me from eating.  I am eating foods that I know will make me dump and I don't know why.  I will puke, not on purpose, and then eat more.  I will spend time lying in bed, holding my stomach promising never to do it again, yet after I feel better I am powerless over the food.  I need some support.  I get told to start over every day, yet I am a failure at that too.  Is this a minute by minute thing?  How do I stop this from happening?  Thanks for letting me vent. Trudi
jastypes
on 11/23/07 11:54 pm - Croydon, PA
Sounds like food addiction to me.  You've already taken Step 1 -- we admitted we were powerless over our addiction.  One day at a time is often one moment at a time, so yes, minute by minute may be where you have to start.  Just for this minute, I will not eat off my plan.  Please make a plan right away.  you can't stick to a plan if you don't have one to stick to.  Keep posting here.  Most of us on this board are part of a 12-step recovery program.  I go to Celebrate Recovery, which is a Christ-centered 12-step program that deals with all hurts, habits and hang ups. 

Blessings, Jill

WLS 5/31/07.  Maintaining a weight loss of 141 pounds and feeling amazing!

ttruelyme
on 11/24/07 2:07 am - kearns, UT
Even after posting here I ate something I should'nt.  I hope that talking with all of you will help me deal with this.  I would love more information about your recovery group.  I know I should turn this all over to God.  I have faith.  But I don't know why it is so hard to do. Thanks for answering! Trudi
marieh
on 11/24/07 6:24 am - So. Easton, MA

Trudy...today I didn't eat the foods I know I should either.  I'm not going to beat myself up over this, but I AM goign to stop the bad behaviors and work on appreciating the gift I've been given with this surgery. It's a gift of life. Without this, my days would surely have been numbered.

Check out the Big Book online. Here's the link:  http://www.aa.org/bigbookonline/en_tableofcnt.cfm You have a food addiction...This book can help you overcome it. Also, try another of the fellowships called OA. Overeaters Anonymous helped a friend of mine lose over 100 pounds. I'll be reading this book myself.  Welcome to the board, Trudy!  I hope to see your future posts!! Marie

Patricia R.
on 11/24/07 9:55 pm - Perry, MI
Hi Trudi, Welcome to my world.  I had been a member of OA for many years.  I would continue there, but find I need AA more.  You will find many people you can relate to at an OA meeting.   Food addiction is just like any other addiction.  There is a great book out there called, "The Anatomy of a Food Addiction."  I suggest you find it and read it.   Find alternative things to do when you are tempted to eat.  Journal and figure out why you want to eat, and then eat something healthy.  Learn coping skills.  I can suggest more later. Hang in there.  I do not follow my food plan perfectly.  I just start over when I catch myself. Hugs, Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views