My first post-op Thanksgiving/Channukah/New Years

marieh
on 11/18/07 8:10 pm - So. Easton, MA
Drinking is not as tough a problem for me as it was, thank G-d, but the eating? Now THAT worries me. Ive actually had a couple of days where I've come close to 1200 calories a day. Not that I'm aiming for it mind you.... I'm concerned about getting in enough protein over Thanksgiving. I tend to zero in on carbs first. And of course, they've asked me to bring dessert.  What does everyone with "holiday experience" do?  Marie

jastypes
on 11/18/07 8:36 pm - Croydon, PA

I don't have experience, but I do have a plan.  We're going to my sister-in-law's house -- notorious for over-indulgence in food.  Fortunately for me, she's a nurse and she has a good friend who has had the surgery, so she's not completely oblivious to my plight. 

First of all, I'm not even THINKING about calories for that one day. 

I will skip her pasta appetizer.  I might have a small amount of salad.

I will put what looks to me like 3 oz of turkey on my plate. 

I will take 1 or 2 tbs of other permissible foods:  stuffing, mashed potatoes, veggie.

I will not take sweet potatoes (which she makes with marshmallows).

I will not have wine with dinner.  I will ask for a glass of water.

I will focus on dinner conversation and enjoying the family.  This should be particularly interesting considering I'll be there with my husband acting as though everything is fine, because he doesn't want to tell his sister we are separated, selling the house, and getting a divorce. 

I will pay attention to my full signal.  It's a burp for me.  I will not eat past my full signal.

I will bring a sugar-free pumpkin pie with me so that I can have dessert when everyone else is.

I'll commit to reporting back here on Friday to let everyone know how I did.

Blessings, Jill

WLS 5/31/07.  Maintaining a weight loss of 141 pounds and feeling amazing!

marieh
on 11/18/07 9:02 pm - So. Easton, MA
Jill tha'ts  a great plan! I'd thought of the tbsp. of side dishes too and forgot! :) Thanks for the reminder!! I'm bringing a very fattening dessert and might make a crustless pumpkin pie for myself and my hostess' father-in-law who's also had a heart attack. I'm sure I'll be baking my buns off again, but this time it'll be more fun! :) Thanks for the suggestions and reminder! Marie

Curious G.
on 11/18/07 11:07 pm - Peachtree City, GA
A lot of post ops might consider me a heretic, but here's what I do - during holidays, meals out, whatever -  First - I don't even stress/worry/count carbs/ count calories/ eliminate foods/ etc I know how much I can eat comfortably, and I don't put more than that on my plate.  I eat a variety of things that everybody else is eating - "normal" people :)  If I want the cheesecake for dessert, I have some - not an entire slice but some.  a couple of bites maybe.  Sometimes I get a couple of bites of a couple different desserts. I make the largest portion on my plate consist of protien  (usually a card deck size portion)  My second largest portion is green veggies of some sort because I tend to not get enough.  Then if I want a little bread (half a roll is about the max i can do), potato, butter, rice, other "bad" stuff.  I have them - a few bites. I chew slowly, eat most of my protein first, sip water between bites, put my fork down every so often and wait a minute, take my time.  If I go slowly, I don't generally overeat - I feel full pretty soon.  Even at almost 4 years out, this is the case.  The secret is in two bites of protein to every one bite of "other".  I don't feel deprived this way, and the protein really does fill me up. I don't believe in special menus, although I do enjoy making some yummy SF desserts.  I'm of the frame of mind that I can generally find something to nibble on no matter what is being served.  Since i'm going to consume probably  less than one tenth of the food  prepared, i just try to relax and go with the flow. MOST importantly - remember - this is one day.  (well several ONE days lol).  What we do on these days do not have to be what we do daily - and in the grand scheme it's not a huge deal. Again, this is just my own philosophy.  It works for ME - YMMV  love and light, Michelle
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  "God does not care about our mathmatecial difficulties - he integrates emperically!" - Albert Einstein

marieh
on 11/19/07 9:22 pm - So. Easton, MA
Thank you so much!!  I'm going to try the 2 to 1 ratio. I don't get in NEARLY enough veggies either, so this might be my best bet! I've been eating salads for lunch at work, as it's the only time I can get veggies in. I get home late, and by the time I do, I'm too tired to cook, so yogurt does the trick.   I've always hated most SF desserts and pre-op would rather indulge in the real deal in smaller amounts...I'll try this. Most times I've made brownies or cakes, I've tried a bite or two. Once they hit my stomach, by bite #2 it hurts, so it's not been worth it so far.  I'm afraid to tempt things and push the envelope by stretching my stomach. I need to remember to chew slowly, no sipping, and stop when full. I'm more worried about Channukah, since most stuff is fried. Between the italian things and the fried latkes, I'll be nibbling or just having a shake. It's not about the food anymore...:)  I'ts about the company!   Thanks for being there! Marie

Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views