Really Tough Therapy Session

Patricia R.
on 11/9/07 11:39 pm - Perry, MI
I left therapy last night really wanting to cry.  That is such a rare occassion for me.  I rarely even cry in his office.  My therapist and I discussed my shame and how I fit the description of an adult child of an alcoholic to a T.  I asked him how he overcame that shame, as he is also an ACoA.  He said he still has to work on it.  He once told me he was in therapy for 7 years.  It gave me a little hope to realize that I can someday be like him.  I just hope I live that long. I am feeling very vulnerable and raw right now.  I don't want to act out, but I don't want to feel this way either.  I did cry when I got home, just a little.  I got a good night's sleep.  I am now getting ready to go to New York for the afternoon, to see my daughter-in-law in a play.   Have a good weekend. Hugs, Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

RHONDA FROM KY
on 11/10/07 9:28 pm - ALEXANDRIA, KY

Morning Trish

IMO.. I think it's good that you feel vulnerable and raw right now..  it's a new feeling and like a baby learning you can take that feeling and start anew.. or act out and keep living the insanity.  I read this morning today's passage from Courage to Change.. One Day at a Time in Al-Anon II.. it said: "Insanity has been defined as doing something the same way over and over again and expecting different results.  " WE HAVE ALL HEARD THAT ONE BEFORE.. SO.. I would think that if you take these new emotions.. and reacted *differently* to those feelings.. like embrace them.. love them.. cry.. be glad you feel that way.. treat it as a way of healing... you may get different results than what you have been doing.   If you weren't where you were.. you wouldn't be the awesome person you are now.  Who's able to share your experiences and actually help others with their lives.  So be thankful of being a ACoA because it can make YOU a person who can have humility and help others.  AND YOU DO.. If you take the emotions your feeling and react the same way..as you had been .. over and over.. *well as it stated* you are getting the same results.. and it's insane.  The passage also reminded us of Step Three.. ""Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of Gad as we understand him," was a turning point for me in relinquishing control.  It meant choosing between an insane life and a sane one--- my will or God's will.  Since my will had let me down time and time again, the real question was how long would I continue running around in the same circles before I was willing to admit defeat and turn to a source of genuine help? " also a quote from AS WE UNDERSTOOD.. "Though no one can go back and make a brand new start, anyone can start from now and make a brand new end." I know we both are alcoholics.. but we also have loved one who are/was.  I thought this passage was really talking to me this morning.  As I have a character flaw of control..  and have to learn to let go of it.  So it gives us BOTH something to work on.. going back to step 3 and turning it all over to God. Hugsss with LOVE

Patricia R.
on 11/10/07 9:36 pm - Perry, MI
Good Morning Rhonda, Wow, what a blessing your post was.  Thank you for sharing that stuff from the Al-Anon book.  It really makes sense.  I am embracing the vulnerability.  I realized as I was writing to my therapist that I preferred to go to his office and get yelled at for acting out, rather than dealing with my feelings.  It is so refreshing to not be acting out, and just feeling the feelings. Have a blessed day. Hugs, Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views