Drinking Wine... Addiction Transfer??

Cheryl M.
on 9/30/07 3:04 am - Apex, NC
(I posted this on the General Forum and someone suggested posting here too...) Hello everyone, Wow, it's been ages since I've posted on OH.com....  But, this site is the best and got me through pre-op and post-op, and celebrated with me when I reached and passed my goal weight. So, what better place to turn to than this forum, now that I've had some problems.... My problem is drinking wine...  I've always enjoyed a nice glass of wine on occasion - dinner out, a family celebration. I quit drinking anything 3-4 months before my surgery - no biggie. Never touched a drop until I was about 5 months post-op, and that was just a 1/2 glass of champagne at my Mom's retirement party. Didn't affect me really...  now and then I'd have a glass of Chardonnay. Didn't miss it, didn't really think about it. About a year or so ago, somewhere along the way, I started drinking more and more wine. It has gotten now to where a bottle (yes, a bottle!  ) is nothing for me to drink in one night. Two is more the norm for me...  Besides the obvious negative aspects to drinking too much, it also makes me eat too much... plus, I don't sleep well, and I just feel... blech. Maybe worst of all is that I've put back on ~40lbs in the last year. That is just so depressing - and terrifying - to me. I can't believe I've gotten to this place....  I've heard of "addiction transfer" after WLS. Just wondering if anyone else has faced this challenge? And, if so, how have you handled it? What do you recommend? I've ordered a book that looked helpful, but some advice from other WLS folks would be really great. Thanks for any help you can offer! Cheryl
Patricia R.
on 9/30/07 8:33 am - Perry, MI
Hi Cheryl, There are many people on the Addiction Forum here that have dealt with addiction transfer, and have found recovery in Alcoholics Anonymous.  I was already in recovery for alcoholism when I had my surgery last year.  This past Wednesday I celebrated 6 years of sobriety, no alcohol, in Alcoholics Anonymous. I was already multiply addicted prior to my surgery, and had been in therapy for a lot of issues, including my addictions, for years.  I am sure that if I had not already been in recovery, I would have gone off the deep end with the alcohol after my surgery.  As it is, I have been more diligent with my AA meeting attendance and working on my emotional recovery since my surgery, because I do not have the food as an option to turn to to deal with my negative emotions. My suggestion is to attend some AA meetings and see if you relate to what people are sharing, especially about their emotions and drinking behaviors.   Feel free to PM me if you have any questions. Hugs, Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

RHONDA FROM KY
on 9/30/07 8:55 am - ALEXANDRIA, KY
I believe (for myself) that my disease of 'isms started before my WLS.. food and alcohol.. but after WLS.. it progressed my disease of alcoholism.  Mainly cuz I felt so good I wanted to go out and "party" and did so at the bars.. and the surgery adjusted my insides so that the alcohol absorbed into my bloodstream so that the effects where fast.. and dangerous for ME. I just know that I could not continue on the path I was going.. I had already suffered from a DUI...  and it was starting to play avac in the rest of my life and relationship.  I am able to not drink by going to AA..  and I have found a better life that's more pleasurable being sober. I wish the same for you.. best wishes and keep coming back
Daniel J.
on 9/30/07 9:12 pm - Alexandria, KY
Hi, Cheryl. I tend to think of my addiction as an addiction intensifying, rather than a transfer. My addiction has been with me since I was 12 and ebbed and flowed with different intensities throughout my life. the only thing that kept my drinking in check in the few years before WLS was the fact that I only drank beer and didnt so much because It would make me bloat and feel like sh*t before I got too drunk. After surgery, I started drinking Vodka and  lemon juice with water and a packet of splenda. just to save calories and more room in my tummy. Plus, I heard you have less hangover with the clear liquors. However, throughout the two years after,my surgery, my quantities and desire for drink increased greatly. as did my dishonisty, drinking and driving and assnine antics. i was in treatment twice in the last 10 months and am finally in AA and taking it serious for the first time in my life Things are improving and life is much less complicated. I have 100 days sober today and it's the first time since I was 12 that I have been completely drug/alcohol free, happily and of my own choice and not forced into sobriety because I was incarcerated. Just remember, you are not alone. many have walked the same path you are on and many have had to learn thru hard knocks just how bad it can get. many are in recovery and happily learning to live free from those burdens. I hope you dont sink to the depths of dispare that I had to reach before you stop, but no matter what, there are people who care and AA is always there to reach out and give a hand up. Good luck.
Patricia R.
on 9/30/07 10:25 pm - Perry, MI
  100 days, that is awesome.      Go Dan.  Keep on keeping on.  One Day At a Time.  Hugs, Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Daniel J.
on 10/1/07 8:26 am - Alexandria, KY
Thank you
RHONDA FROM KY
on 9/30/07 10:54 pm - ALEXANDRIA, KY
HAPPY 100 DAY SOBERVERSARY Love you
Cheryl M.
on 10/2/07 11:41 am - Apex, NC
Hi again everyone and thanks again for all your help..  Dan, congrats on 100 days sober! Of course, now it's 102? 103?  I'm am almost through my 3rd evening without any wine. It hasn't been too terrible.... although I do miss it. After work, while I'm cooking dinner, kids stressing me out... I'm so used to having that glass right there. So, it's definitely been in the back of my mind, almost in a sad "miss my friend" sorta way... but I know it's not my friend.  It's been really nice going to bed at a decent hour (if not SUPER early, just to get the evening over with!) instead of sitting up until 1, 2 or 3am (sometimes later) by myself drinking, and it's been nice waking up remembering the previous evening, not feeling shaky and tired and berating myself for "doing this again". The weekend will be the next challenge... I can already hear that little voice... "It's the weekend". But, I'm determined to abstain. I even cancelled on my monthly Bunco group so I wouldn't have to deal with all the drinking (since that's the main reason everyone gets together anyway - to eat and drink!). It was always alot of fun, but I just don't think I could handle it - at least not right now. Anyway.... so far, so good. Thanks again everyone! Cheryl
Tuce
on 10/14/07 1:46 am - Simi Valley, CA
Hi Cheryl, I can completely relate to what you are going through. Prior to WLS I rarely ever drank. if I bought something to drink on New Years it would still be in my cupboard the following year. I just didnt have much interest in drinking. After WLS my taste for foods completely changed. I stopped craving sweets and began to enjoy savory things. Wine just seems to go so well with savory! Now I have gone from a non drinker to about a bottle a night very similar to what you discribed and have also regained about 40 lbs. Hang in there......I'm right there with you! Tuce
iwant2sing
on 10/27/07 5:41 am - park forest, IL
Lap Band on 08/24/07 with
This sounds alot like me. I have at least two to three glasses a night.(big glasses) Sometimes I dont even want any. I have so much going on in my life now and it is the only way I can relax or sleep. I know it's a problem and I have been doing it for years thinking oh it's just wine. It is indeed a problem and it must stop. If anyone can give some ideas on how to stop this behaviour please feel free.
Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views