2190 days

Patricia R.
on 9/25/07 11:01 am - Perry, MI

September 25, 2007. 2190 days = 6 years. 6 years ago tonight, I was finishing my last drink.  I was a mess, a basket case.  My husband had left me in February, my two older kids moved to the Midwest in August and my baby left for college in Pittsburgh.  I was alone and in so much emotional pain, I could not see straight, so I was coming home and drinking most nights.   My therapist kept nagging me about the drinking because of certain medications I take.  He insisted that I speak with my psychiatrist, as there is some danger of mixing my meds with alcohol.  I hated it, because the alcohol was not obliterating the pain for me, and I was waking up in the middle of the night, hating my life even more.   Finally, after weeks of nagging me, he somehow convinced me to go back to AA.  I had spent 8 years in AA, but thought I found a better program online.  It was such a good program, I started drinking.  I had no accountability, or spiritual guidance.  The way my therapist convinced me was to tell me that if I continued drinking, I would go back to cutting, and end up back in the psych ward at the hospital.  I would lose my job, and end up homeless.  He then pulled out his Ace in the Hole.  He told me my daughter would be ashamed of me.  That was the kick in the pants I needed, because he is right.  If I went back to drinking, my daughter, who was 13 when I first got sober, would be ashamed of me.   So, six years ago tonight was my last drink.  I returned to AA and have stayed.  It has not been the easiest six years, and it has been a roller coaster ride, but in spite of the stuff life has thrown at me, I have grown and gotten better emotionally, physically and spiritually.   So, Wednesday, September 26, 2007, is my six year anniversary.  Or, 2190 days, one day at a time. I owe the last year or so to this forum, because I feared relapsing after my surgery.  You guys have kept me grounded. Hugs, Trish

Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

marieh
on 9/25/07 11:28 am - So. Easton, MA
Trish, I hear your courage coming through each and every post. Don't ever doubt it when I call you my hero. You ARE. :) I'm lucky to know such a strong, brave, courageous woman!  Congratulations on your sobriety! Love, Marie

Patricia R.
on 9/25/07 1:01 pm - Perry, MI
Thanks, Marie, I only have what God has given me.  I am nothing without His strength and courage coming out in me.  Believe me, I remember the mess I was 6 years ago.  It was white knuckle, shaky sobriety for a long time. Hugs, Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

RHONDA FROM KY
on 9/25/07 12:09 pm - ALEXANDRIA, KY
Good Evening Trish..  congratulations on 6 years of sobriety.. and incase you don't know...  YOU have something I want.... and thank you for sharing it with meyou've been a great help and inspiration to myself!  So please keep coming back.. cuz many of us need you.. love you with hugssss, Rhonda  
Patricia R.
on 9/25/07 1:02 pm - Perry, MI

Thanks Rhonda, What I have was given to me by God and the people who came before me in AA.  I am nothing without God in my life.  I remember the mess I was in six years ago, and cannot believe what God has done since then.   Hugs, Trish

Albert Schweitzer

Curious G.
on 9/25/07 7:25 pm - Peachtree City, GA
Congratulations!!!!  You are a true inspiration!  Your sharing has helped me more than you could ever know! Love you!   Michelle
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
  "God does not care about our mathmatecial difficulties - he integrates emperically!" - Albert Einstein

Patricia R.
on 9/26/07 7:52 am - Perry, MI
Michelle, You always make me smile the way you share your life with us.  It reminds me so much of me, it is scary.  Maybe we are sisters in another life.   Big hugs, Trish
Albert Schweitzer

Karen N.
on 9/26/07 2:17 am - Charlotte, NC

Trish,

High Five  High Fiveon the big   6 !!!! I hope you'll do something nice for yourself to celebrate. God is GREAT and so are you and the program of Alcoholics Anonymous.

Keep Stepping!

Love, Karen

Friend of Bill W.   "I come from a long line of plump women with bad knees"

Patricia R.
on 9/26/07 7:53 am - Perry, MI
Thanks Karen, I went to my 6 a.m. meeting this morning and got my coin.  It was a great meeting on the Serenity Prayer. Keep sharing and caring. Hugs, Trish
Albert Schweitzer

Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 770 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 751 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 976 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1682 views