Gratitude with Sadness

Karen N.
on 9/17/07 3:57 am - Charlotte, NC

In an hour I will be at one of my best friend's funeral. She and I have shared the same sponsor and have be friends since she came into the AA, which was almost 6 years ago. She found out she had breast cancer when she was four months sober.

In these past years she has walked and talked spirituality, service and quality sobriety. She kept the best attitude and always focused on either what she could do for another or being grateful for others.

I'm so sad. My heart hurts. I thought this would be a good time to do a gratitude list:

~~~I'm grateful Robyn doesn't have to suffer anymore. No more pain, chemo, radiation, fear.

~~~I am so richly blessed by having her in my lift. From the first time she took me by the hand and said...."I'm going to help you" to the last time she hugged me tight and said "I love you so much".

~~~I'm grateful she died peacefully and sober and surrounding by loved ones.

~~~For the most beautiful weather we've had since June.

~~~For all the people who have vowed to help her husband raise her children and his humility to accept it.

~~~I'm grateful for my tears because it means I can walk through my feelings now and not drink, run, eat, sleep or _________ through them.

~~~I'm grateful for my AA family and our ability to hold each other up.

~~~I'm thankful for all the people who have called to make sure I'm OK.

~~~I'm happy my sponsees have continued to call when they need help. It keeps me humble, sober and out of my self.

~~~I'm so blessed to be able to carry a part of Robyn within me forever.

~~~I'm grateful to be sober, to God and to the program of AA.

Karen

Friend of Bill W.   "I come from a long line of plump women with bad knees"

PittsburghCutie
on 9/17/07 5:41 am - Pittsburgh, PA
*hugs*

Go Steelers!!
October, 1st, 2004-LapRNY
298/157/140'ish
marieh
on 9/17/07 10:00 am - So. Easton, MA
I'm so sorry for your loss, Karen.  That was a beautiful tribute to your friend. Thank you for reminding me that life is short, and sometimes I take my loved ones time with me for granted. Hugs, Marie

Patricia R.
on 9/17/07 12:12 pm - Perry, MI
Karen, My heart breaks with yours.  It is so sad when we say good-bye to someone we love, especially when they are young, and it is not really in the normal order of things.  I buried my 40 year old brother in October last year.  It hurt like nothing I have experienced in my life, not even my divorce hurt as much as his death.   Your gratitude list shows that you have grown and learned so much in your recovery.  It focuses on the beauty of your relationship with your friend, and your Higher Power.  I am so grateful that you posted it.   I have a dear friend who has been discipling me in my Christian faith.  She was diagnosed with breast cancer in the Spring.  This past summer, she almost lost her husband to blood clots in his lungs.  Her faith and courage have kept me moving forward.  In guiding me in my walk with the Lord, she has me sending her daily gratitude lists, which was now call "Love Lists" where I start each item with "God showed me His love..."   I hope you are able to heal and grow through this loss.  I will pray for you, and your dear friend's family. Hugs,           Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

RHONDA FROM KY
on 9/17/07 12:19 pm - ALEXANDRIA, KY
thank YOU for sharing Karen.. you are in my prayers.. along with Karen's family hugsss, Rhonda
Karen N.
on 9/18/07 4:48 am - Charlotte, NC
Thank you all for the posts and kind works. Yesterday was really tough but the service was beautiful. Over 400 people came. We were all blessed to have known Robyn.

Friend of Bill W.   "I come from a long line of plump women with bad knees"

Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 785 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 769 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 991 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1700 views