Overeaters Anonymous and gastric bypass?

(deactivated member)
on 9/10/07 12:30 pm - St. Peters, MO
Hi, I'm new to this board but not to Obesity Help or Overeaters Anonymous. I've been with the OA program since late January. I was abstinent the first month or so then I relapsed and have been that way since. I'm the goody-too-shoes type I guess which means I haven't told my group I've fallen into relapse. I've been going 5 months without practicing any OA teachings. I still go though and I tell them I'm doing fine. Yes, I know that's wrong and hurtful to myself so I'll be coming clean soon. It's just that I've just been approved for gastric bypass surgery and tomorrow I go to a pre-op class. I get the feeling that the OA lifestyle may frown on people who get bariatric surgery because the OA literature writes against seeking other avenues to control your weight. Or am I interpreting this wrong? What do you think: does getting gastric bypass go along with the teaching of OA? And another question about OA and twelve steps in general: would they frown on sharing about my gastric bypass decision since it's technically has something to do with outside OA? Thanks for reading. I don't have a sponsor but there is someone at my group I plan on asking.
Karen N.
on 9/10/07 12:52 pm - Charlotte, NC

Hi Jenna,

I have not attended OA but have friends that do and have inquired about it post-op for myself. It's my understanding that the member and his/her sponsor determine what is abstinent for the individual. For example, a diabetic is allowed sugar when medically necessary while someone that binges is not.

I am in a 12 Step programs (AA)and know for a fact anyone can work the 12 step program with any problem. 12 Step programs are the least judgemental and cannot imagine anyone frowning on Gastric Bypass to save your life. WLS is a tool for your body, not your mind. The 12 Steps are a tool for the mind & soul which in turn can also help the body.

The only requirement for OA membership is a desire to stop eating compulsively.

I strongly suggest getting a sponsor. Don't be afraid to put yourself out there and let someone know the 'real' you. Dishonesty is only short-changing yourself.   

Take care of yourself,

Karen

Friend of Bill W.   "I come from a long line of plump women with bad knees"

Patricia R.
on 9/11/07 9:27 am - Perry, MI
I did OA for ages prior to going into treatment for my eating disorder.  My psychiatrist actually discouraged me from attending OA because of the dietary rules they have had in some groups.  He and I both disapprove of their food plans that they give out.  It is my opinion that food plans and diets should be given to people by medical professionals, not people in 12 step groups.  That said, OA should have no opinion on outside issues.  Your gastric bypass is none of their business.  That is one of the traditions.  The only requirement is the desire to stop overeating.  The program is the 12 steps, everything else is just fluff.   Good fluff, but fluff none the less.  The recovery is in the 12 steps. Get honest with your OA group about your relapse.  You are not going to be the first to share a relapse, and you won't be the last either.  In program, we are only as sick as our secrets.  Time to get honest about food.   Hugs, Trish
Seek always to do some good, somewhere. Every man has to seek in his own way to realize his true worth. You must give some time to your fellow man. For remember, you don't live in a world all your own. Your brothers are here too.
Albert Schweitzer

Most Active
Recent Topics
For your education and support
Cathy W. · 2 replies · 785 views
Wellbutrin
merlin300 · 2 replies · 769 views
Best Healthcare Center
jungisstephens · 0 replies · 991 views
What triggers your anxiety
danmarc · 2 replies · 1700 views